New tank - Fish Plan questions

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

My 40B tank finished cycling. I will be adding 2 clownfishes possibly this weekend or next week.
Here are my Wish List:
  • Clown fish x2
  • Royale Gramma
  • Bangai Cardinals x2
  • Yellow Watchman Goby
  • Green/Blue Mandarin (next year) (must have)
  • Cleaner Shrimps
I was advised to get a lawnmower/algae blenny but I am worried that it will have problem with the either the goby or the mandarin.
Aren't all of them bottom dwellers?

I would also like to pair the goby with pistol shrimp. Would that be a problem with the rest of the list?

Any problem if I bought them in order of that list? (except shrimp)

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are all reasonable choices, and should all get along. The order is fine too, although the clowns will actually be the most aggressive fishes on the list.

I would suggest a bicolor, or tailspot, or similar instead of a lawnmower type blenny for a 40 breeder. The lawnmowers get a little big and pushy. Blennies and mandarins will ignore each other.

Pistol shrimp is fine.

The mandarin is possible, with enough rock, and a fuge, and if you wait about a year or until you are seeing plenty of pods crawling around on the glass in the display. It will take some work, and I would advise you to not ever consider any other pod eating competitors of any kind....so no sixline wrasses, no Chrysiptera damsels, no Halichoeres wrasses, etc.

OP
OP
Philly Reefer

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are all reasonable choices, and should all get along. The order is fine too, although the clowns will actually be the most aggressive fishes on the list.

I would suggest a bicolor, or tailspot, or similar instead of a lawnmower type blenny for a 40 breeder. The lawnmowers get a little big and pushy. Blennies and mandarins will ignore each other.

Pistol shrimp is fine.

The mandarin is possible, with enough rock, and a fuge, and if you wait about a year or until you are seeing plenty of pods crawling around on the glass in the display. It will take some work, and I would advise you to not ever consider any other pod eating competitors of any kind....so no sixline wrasses, no Chrysiptera damsels, no Halichoeres wrasses, etc.

Thank you @nereefpat
I was advised lawnmower because I was thinking of yellow tank for algae eater. Does the other blenny will eat algae too?

drmdvl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good - you may want to start with more than 2 or just one banggai unless you sex them and get a M/F combo or else Id say you have about a 50/50 chance of them tolerating each other - I would also rec you get captive bred banggai as they seem a little hardier and less picky about food.
Throw some macro in the sump and seed your pods now for the mandarin - you may be able to get him earlier than a year.

OP
OP
Philly Reefer

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good - you may want to start with more than 2 or just one banggai unless you sex them and get a M/F combo or else Id say you have about a 50/50 chance of them tolerating each other - I would also rec you get captive bred banggai as they seem a little hardier and less picky about food.
Throw some macro in the sump and seed your pods now for the mandarin - you may be able to get him earlier than a year.

I am planning to get all captive bread if possible. I will ask the lfs regarding the banggai. ty for the advise.
I do have some chaeto and I did put some pods in there... but I think I might have killed them all since my tank was still cycling. I have not seen any of them flying around... :(

drmdvl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning to get all captive bread if possible. I will ask the lfs regarding the banggai. ty for the advise.
I do have some chaeto and I did put some pods in there... but I think I might have killed them all since my tank was still cycling. I have not seen any of them flying around... :(
Are you feeding them while cycling? They'll need some phyto until you have nutrients in the tank.

OP
OP
Philly Reefer

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update time, this is what I have:
  1. 2 clowns
  2. Bicolor Blenny
  3. Cleaner Shrimp
  4. Yellow watchman goby (pre-ordered 9/22)
Wish List: not in stock yet from my LFS (TSM Aquatics).
  1. Royal Gramma
  2. Bangai Cardinals
  3. Pistol Shrimp
  4. Mandarin (only if I can get pods in my tank)
Now... Can I add a Firefish for my 40B?
They are listed as peaceful fish.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update time, this is what I have:
  1. 2 clowns
  2. Bicolor Blenny
  3. Cleaner Shrimp
  4. Yellow watchman goby (pre-ordered 9/22)
Wish List: not in stock yet from my LFS (TSM Aquatics).
  1. Royal Gramma
  2. Bangai Cardinals
  3. Pistol Shrimp
  4. Mandarin (only if I can get pods in my tank)
Now... Can I add a Firefish for my 40B?
They are listed as peaceful fish.
Get a tank raised mandarin that will eat "not pods". You might pay more, but have better chance of keeping him alive.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back