New tank - Foam in Filter Socks

maginter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just filled and started running my new 150 and I have gobs of foam coming out of my filter socks. Any suggestions? No fish and have not started to cycle tank, just getting salinity right and up to temp.

OP
OP
maginter

maginter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Felt. The cam with my Trigger Sump and it is the first time I have every experienced this with filter socks

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes a result of the manufacturing process, from what I understand. Most manufacturers say to rinse them thoroughly before a first use. Hope this helps. :)

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Felt. The cam with my Trigger Sump and it is the first time I have every experienced this with filter socks
The only time my woven socks shed is when theyve been rinsed like 150times and start to fall apart.
They should be cleaned well first as stated above.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll say i did this almost exact same, and that's what it was for me was the socks. i used icecap filter socks and you could almost feel they were, like starched or something.

giving them a really good rinse with r.o water or fresh removed water from a w.c works perfect

karamreef117

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happens a lot. My sump used to foam up in the beginning so it might also be some weird bacteria process. I wouldn't worry much unless it is overflowing off to the sides.

Back