New tank... got some ideas

Gracefulsails

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a 90gal tank I plan to do up as I get the money. Plan is to run a mixed reef octopus tank. I’ll be running an Eheim type 2217 filter and two more HOB aqueon 75 filters. I got 2 mover m900 heads but maybe changing that. I still need to figure out lighting solution that’s relatively cheap but will work well and I want to make the tank as smart as possible. I’m considering doing an automatic Arduino or raspberry pi app to run lights, dosages, topoffs, and heads. I’ll need to also make a latching acrylic top to prevent escapes lol. Any ideas, help, or things that you think I might need would be appreciated. Wouldn’t mind buying some used equipment too but I’m pretty tight on cash as I’m a medically retired marine and finishing school. Take a look and tell me what you think!
25972621-4574-4B8F-ABA2-B7EEDFED2A76.jpeg
B06F0A85-3FFB-4D9A-B3ED-BDA8A17ECD74.jpeg
AD74F49B-8369-4183-894B-1CB72EAFF93D.jpeg

OP
OP
Gracefulsails

Gracefulsails

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So heres an update on my tank build! I built a custom stand for my tank and got rid of the old worn out falling apart particle board prefabed stand, got a sump (still figuring out the plumbing), new lights (including one under the stand for an off cycle pH balancing refugium) flowheads, a reef octopus protein skimmer, and a 9 watt uv steralizer (which I think should be enough for the tank). I also started to work on the rock work and getting ideas for placement and just playing around. I'm also debating on starting a second smaller tank (maybe some where in the 30 to 50 gallon range) to run the octopus enclosure and use my large tank as just a reef tank... not sure yet. Once all of that is done maybe a 3rd tank (probably no bigger than 30 gallons) for a pair of hippocampus erectus? Whats your ideas? Mind you the tank stand was a one day build so its not perfect and there might be some stuff i change on it, but I don't think it looks terrible, but it still needs all the finishing trim.
58968823228__BC6FCC2C-1914-493C-9160-6E79E05A2F18.jpg
IMG_1029.jpg
IMG_1030.png

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back