New tank help Please say hi

sgterik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for as many people to include on this as I am trying to get my posts up to 25. I have a new tank and it has been up and running for over 4 months. Amonia = 0, nitrite = 0 and Nitrate - 0. Have done 0 water changes. Until yesterday that is as someone said to do a chenge anyways. Is it really a bad thing to have everything at 0

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here
pics required..lol we all love pics ,enjoy
happy reefing open 24-7 here!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef 2 Reef!

You want to be able to detect nitrates to make sure that your reef has fully cycled.

Did you dose Ammonia to start the cycling process?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was once a time when your current nutrient levels would be the goal (although ammonia and nitrite should always be zero). But that philosophy has widely gone out the window as it has been learned that some nutrients (NO3 and PO4) present in the tank are beneficial to coral growth.

There are no blanket solutions. In my opinion, your nutrient levels are very much defined by what you have in your tank. My nutrient levels are right for what I stock, but they my not be right for someone else.

A detailed inventory of you tank would be helpful. Tell us about your lighting, tank age, what you have in the tank and your latest chemistry numbers beyond the ones listed.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was once a time when your current nutrient levels would be the goal (although ammonia and nitrite should always be zero). But that philosophy has widely gone out the window as it has been learned that some nutrients (NO3 and PO4) present in the tank are beneficial to coral growth.

There are no blanket solutions. In my opinion, your nutrient levels are very much defined by what you have in your tank. My nutrient levels are right for what I stock, but they my not be right for someone else.

Yep,
No nitrates and no phosphates can sure open the door for dinos to take over.

OP
OP
S

sgterik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the input. I will post my inhabitants, details and some pics in a bit

OP
OP
S

sgterik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics as promised. Plus my boy Frank the Tank chilling

IMG_20200224_185455.jpg IMG_20200224_185416.jpg IMG_20200224_185432.jpg IMG_20200224_185508.jpg

OP
OP
S

sgterik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 60 pounds Caribsea shape rock. Then I have 10 of the biosphere little brick things that equal 20 pounds live rock each so equivelant of 260 pounds rock. I have a KLIR roller matte and 3 filter cups. One with filter floss to help KLIR and one with chemipure and one charcoal. Started off with live sand and a whole bottle of Fritz turbo start. Back in October. I also started with 4 clowns that are still going and after cycle I added blue throat trigger. I was told I need more fish for bioload so I added a small fox fish or something, yellow eyed kole Tang and a matef pair of mandarins that eat frozen. Plus about 8 small corals.

OP
OP
S

sgterik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef 2 Reef!

You want to be able to detect nitrates to make sure that your reef has fully cycled.

Did you dose Ammonia to start the cycling process?
No. I did a bottle of Fritz and 4 clowns.

sfairtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yes it is a Max 650. Love it.
I have a Red Sea MaxS500. I too love it. Had a similar setup in my sump as you when I started (1.5 years ago) but I've changed a few things since. You will love the hobby. Quite the rollercoaster...enjoy the ride!

OP
OP
S

sgterik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea MaxS500. I too love it. Had a similar setup in my sump as you when I started (1.5 years ago) but I've changed a few things since. You will love the hobby. Quite the rollercoaster...enjoy the ride!
I had a reefer 350 xl for about three years prior and sold/bought house and had to take down so I figured it was time to uograde

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back