New tank...how long to wait until you get a Torch?

timrocks311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is only about 3 months old. I have a hammer that looks great and some zoas. Dosing and now running Kalk in my ATO. I'm planning real soon to stock up on some more LPS. I'm worried about getting a Torch because I've heard they are more sensitive. How long should I wait to get one? What's are the main concerns with housing a Torch coral?

Thanks.

ReeferRoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally have had no issues or growth differences between Hammers, Frogspawn, or Torches since I setup my tank a little over a year ago. I had a frogspawn in the first 3 months then added a torch about a month or two after that. Since I have added 3 more hammers and 2 more torches. Great PE for the most part and consistent growth.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'd be fine to go ahead now, especially since your corals seem to be doing well. Only caution I would offer is to give the torch plenty of room. They can grow very long tentacles for stinging other corals too close to them and I've had to put more than one in time out.

RobZilla04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing and running Kalk in a 3 month old tank.... Are you testing? Dosing should be based on consumption and simply put, one hammer and a few zoas will not consume enough Alk or Cal to require dosing in addition to bi weekly water changes. If you have corraline algae taking off all over the tank, then it IS possible. Ensure you are testing and that parameters are stable over a few weeks before adding more corals. Torches can be more sensitive so testing to ensure stability will give a new torch the best chance of success.

OP
OP
timrocks311

timrocks311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing and running Kalk in a 3 month old tank.... Are you testing? Dosing should be based on consumption and simply put, one hammer and a few zoas will not consume enough Alk or Cal to require dosing in addition to bi weekly water changes. If you have corraline algae taking off all over the tank, then it IS possible. Ensure you are testing and that parameters are stable over a few weeks before adding more corals. Torches can be more sensitive so testing to ensure stability will give a new torch the best chance of success.

Yes, I test several times a week. I don't have any coraline at this point. My calcium and magnesium fluctuate slightly, but my Alk consistently drops. I was using BRS 2-part and having to dose about 0.5 oz every two days for Alk. With minimal coral right now, I'm trying to hold Alk just about 7...about 7.2-7.5. I was seeing a drop from 7.5 to 6.7 in two days. I just started Kalk this past week to hopefully stop having to dose regularly and so far it has stabilized my Alk.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back