new tank nerves

SmokinReefer845

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got a 150 gallon for a steal so i plan to move everything in my 90 into it this weekend or next. but my tank is so well balanced and healthy that i am getting cold feet. i dont want to mess up a good thing but i have been wishing my tank was bigger for a while. i know how i want to scape it and everything im just worried. thoughts?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start with new sand. Transfer as much rock as possible before introducing any live stock or coral. Essentially run both tanks for a couple few days while everything settles down.

OP
OP
SmokinReefer845

SmokinReefer845

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start with new sand. Transfer as much rock as possible before introducing any live stock or coral. Essentially run both tanks for a couple few days while everything settles down.
i cant because the only place this tank can go is in place of the existing one

MattB69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done it. It's very nerve wracking while you are in the process but worth the effort.

1. Transfer as much water as you can from the old tank into storage containers to fill the new tank once in place. The amount you think you are going to need to finish filling the new tank..... double it. Haha
2. Transfer all live rock of course
3. Once you have all that out its pretty easy to catch your livestock. I put them into a storage container with some of the tank water and a heater while I got the scape setup and all the equipment moved and re configured
4. I didn't want to waste time cleaning the sand during the process so I went bare bottom in the new tank and put new sand in at a later date. Actually about 6 months later because I didn't like the bare bottom after trying it. I ended up getting rid of my old sand because I didn't think I would go back so had to buy new
5. After the new tank is setup and running and the temp is back up put your livestock back in.

This was my process and it went very well. fish adapted very well to the new tank almost immediately

OP
OP
SmokinReefer845

SmokinReefer845

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done it. It's very nerve wracking while you are in the process but worth the effort.

1. Transfer as much water as you can from the old tank into storage containers to fill the new tank once in place. The amount you think you are going to need to finish filling the new tank..... double it. Haha
2. Transfer all live rock of course
3. Once you have all that out its pretty easy to catch your livestock. I put them into a storage container with some of the tank water and a heater while I got the scape setup and all the equipment moved and re configured
4. I didn't want to waste time cleaning the sand during the process so I went bare bottom in the new tank and put new sand in at a later date. Actually about 6 months later because I didn't like the bare bottom after trying it. I ended up getting rid of my old sand because I didn't think I would go back so had to buy new
5. After the new tank is setup and running and the temp is back up put your livestock back in.

This was my process and it went very well. fish adapted very well to the new tank almost immediately
this was my plan to a T! iv got this thank you

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back