New tank, new to hobby, confused.

ShepherdOfShrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, high school student here on a budget. I purchased a 50 gallon rimless aquarium on facebook for $25. A bit for context, I have a 55 Gallon cichlid tank, some nano low tech planted tanks, a couple of axolotls, and a community tank, but never have I even touched upon the realm of reef/saltwater tanks.

So thinking this was just a 50 gallon 24 Long x 24 Wide x 25 High (Inches), I thought this was a snag...until I came and saw everything was basically new except 2 holes drilled in the bottom corner and what seems like an overflow black plastic thing in the corner. The tank has no chips or cracks and holds water (silicone is very good), I'm surprised they were able to drill 2 holes since I thought aquarium glass bottoms were tempered. Anyways, I'm kind of dumbfounded on what the two holes are for, how I can set this tank up (for saltwater, or even freshwater). I got some picture for you guys. BTW I just signed up so please cut me some slack. I have no terminology or information on saltwater tanks besides that it's "SUPER EXPENSIVE". Thank you so much for reading, if anyone can reply as soon as possible. Most likely going to sell it off if I can't get it setup or something in a good budget haha.

P.S, the drilled holes are about 1.5" in diameter!
20180806_194724.jpg
20180806_194736.jpg
20180806_194729.jpg

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's likely a custom tank. Any tank can not have a tempered bottom. You need another tank to fashion into a sump or you'll need to buy a premade sump. The two holes behind the overflow are from that purpose. IMO best bet is use both of those as drains, one main one emergency and have the return coming up over the back of the tank.

What exactly is your question? $25 for that tank is already a ***** good deal.

OP
OP
ShepherdOfShrimp

ShepherdOfShrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha thanks! my question was what exactly is a sump...I have a 15 gallon tank...no stand for the aquarium...not sure how to hook everything up. Can I just use a canister filter and attach it to two holes?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
ShepherdOfShrimp

ShepherdOfShrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes that seems super expensive, complicated, and more expensive. Freshwater seems like a cake walk now. I will do more research before I give in to reselling it since everything seems so cool! I just had a few more question after reading that.

1. Do I need live coral in the aquarium? I read the softies coral and they seem beautiful and would do really well.
2. What is the best substrate for a beginner? If I do keep a reef, I plan to keep small fish like clown fish, (Dory fish), some gobies, hermit grabs, and the like. No big fish, sorry.
3. Can't I just attach a canister filter?

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You have the tank and a 15 gallon to use for a sump? Big version of HOB sorta. Great start! You can get used equipment pretty cheap if you go with just basics and don't get all high tech. Please give this a try, you'll be happy you did.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes that seems super expensive, complicated, and more expensive. Freshwater seems like a cake walk now. I will do more research before I give in to reselling it since everything seems so cool! I just had a few more question after reading that.

1. Do I need live coral in the aquarium? I read the softies coral and they seem beautiful and would do really well.
2. What is the best substrate for a beginner? If I do keep a reef, I plan to keep small fish like clown fish, (Dory fish), some gobies, hermit grabs, and the like. No big fish, sorry.
3. Can't I just attach a canister filter?

1. No. You can just do fish only with live rock (fowlr)

2. Aragonite sand. Not "play sand" from hardware store.

3. The tank you have (by the way is a very cool tank) requires a sump.
The two holes require two bulkheads and two "Durso" stand pipes. (That can be made with pvc pipe and elbows from the hardware store.

The bottom of the bulkheads are then plumbed with fittings and have plastic tubing or pvc pipe that runs down to a sump. Those are your drains.

A sump is nothing more than another smaller aquarium at has partitions/compartments that separate equipment. (like a skimmer, heater, return pump)

The water from the display tank drains into the overflow box, through the "Durso" stand pipes down through the tubing/pvc pipe into the sump.

The water travels in the sump to a skimmer (removes proteins from the water) then to a return pump that brings the water back over the top of the display tank.

Hope this helps. Now you can do a saltwater tank without a sump, but I would recommend with the tank you have, using a sump. Plenty of saltwater tanks use HOB (hang on the back) equipment. No drilling needed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ShepherdOfShrimp

ShepherdOfShrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A
1. No. You can just do fish only with live rock (fowlr)

2. Aragonite sand. Not "play sand" from hardware store.

3. The tank you have (by the way is a very cool tank) requires a sump.
The two holes require two bulkheads and two "Durso" stand pipes. (That can be made with pvc pipe and elbows from the hardware store.

The bottom of the bulkheads are then plumbed with fittings and have plastic tubing or pvc pipe that runs down to a sump. Those are your drains.

A sump is nothing more than another smaller aquarium at has partitions/compartments that separate equipment. (like a skimmer, heater, return pump)

The water from the display tank drains into the overflow box, through the "Durso" stand pipes down through the tubing/pvc pipe into the sump.

The water travels in the sump to a skimmer (removes proteins from the water) then to a return pump that brings the water back over the top of the display tank.

Hope this helps. Now you can do a saltwater tank without a sump, but I would recommend with the tank you have, using a sump. Plenty of saltwater tanks use HOB (hang on the back) equipment. No drilling needed.
Ah thank you so very much! This doesn't look so complicated as I thought it would be. So far, it seems there needs to be a balance between the rate of water flowing into the tank and water flowing out into the sump? Should I also apply Teflon tape to the bulkheads?

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank and a killer price. I justnhate those internal overflows, they take up so much room especially in a smaller tank. As said the holes are for a drain and return. Start off by researching about reef aquariums, sumps, skimmers, live rock and lighting, visit locae fiah stores that sell corals and ask questions. Shop in the for sale forums and on CL for used items, lots of people upgrade or break down tanks and sell stuff for pretty cheap. After having a reef tank everything fresh water is plain and boring to me now, well for the most part.
Oh and no you cant just put a canister filter in the holes and not all tank bottoms are tempered many are though. If its drilled its not tempered.

Bill_Moorman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the light side!

My advice for you is to watch every episode of this series: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBaMLrfToJyybUT18OE3fMomFb9XU0ffC

Also, let me the first to tell you a phrase you will hear over and over: “Nothing good in saltwater happens quickly.” Take time to research and don’t buy cheap equipment. Eventually you will have $1k’s invested into the aquarium and you don’t want it all to die because a cheap heater went berserk and cooked everything.

Please feel free to ask anything you need here...these are some of the best and most knowledgeable people in our trade.

mich2599

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice find! That tank is like 450 from my LF. Also I wouldn’t get a blue tang (dory) since they will eventually require a much bigger tank. I would only get it small & if i had plans on upgrading. Go to Liveaquaria.com & look at the fish. They give very helpful info.

Bill_Moorman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, whatever you do, get another tank to set up as a QT. (Abbreviation for quarantine tank.)

One of the trickier aspects of saltwater are the parasites, diseases and unwanted critters that can find their way into your tank, even if the fish look fine at the store. Read through the disease forum to learn about how to QT.

Most folks use the adage “QT anything wet.” Three of the most deadly diseases are marine ich (crypto, as it called in saltwater), velvet and brookynella. You can’t just treat them like you would in freshwater as the most effective treatment is copper based, which can/will kill inverts that you want to keep alive.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A

Ah thank you so very much! This doesn't look so complicated as I thought it would be. So far, it seems there needs to be a balance between the rate of water flowing into the tank and water flowing out into the sump? Should I also apply Teflon tape to the bulkheads?

Your welcome!

You'll have to do some research on the size return pump for that DT. Bulkheads have gaskets, so no need for tape. The fittings for the bulkheads that attach your drains will get pvc glue.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, high school student here on a budget. I purchased a 50 gallon rimless aquarium on facebook for $25. A bit for context, I have a 55 Gallon cichlid tank, some nano low tech planted tanks, a couple of axolotls, and a community tank, but never have I even touched upon the realm of reef/saltwater tanks.

So thinking this was just a 50 gallon 24 Long x 24 Wide x 25 High (Inches), I thought this was a snag...until I came and saw everything was basically new except 2 holes drilled in the bottom corner and what seems like an overflow black plastic thing in the corner. The tank has no chips or cracks and holds water (silicone is very good), I'm surprised they were able to drill 2 holes since I thought aquarium glass bottoms were tempered. Anyways, I'm kind of dumbfounded on what the two holes are for, how I can set this tank up (for saltwater, or even freshwater). I got some picture for you guys. BTW I just signed up so please cut me some slack. I have no terminology or information on saltwater tanks besides that it's "SUPER EXPENSIVE". Thank you so much for reading, if anyone can reply as soon as possible. Most likely going to sell it off if I can't get it setup or something in a good budget haha.

P.S, the drilled holes are about 1.5" in diameter!
20180806_194724.jpg
20180806_194736.jpg
20180806_194729.jpg
Sweet deal[emoji106]

Do some research. You can get this tank up and running easily and pretty cheap for fish only or even a softy reef tank.
Search for a reef club in your area and in sure you will get some hands on help from them. Clubs that I have found are always willing to help.
Look at your hardware store for plumbing and used stuff if needed for pumps, skimmers, ect.
Good luck.

OP
OP
ShepherdOfShrimp

ShepherdOfShrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet deal[emoji106]

Do some research. You can get this tank up and running easily and pretty cheap for fish only or even a softy reef tank.
Search for a reef club in your area and in sure you will get some hands on help from them. Clubs that I have found are always willing to help.
Look at your hardware store for plumbing and used stuff if needed for pumps, skimmers, ect.
Good luck.
Do you have an estimate on how much it might or should cost for just some clowns, gobies, and softies, and a light?

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an estimate on how much it might or should cost for just some clowns, gobies, and softies, and a light?

There is no good answer for that question... It all depends on which direction you wanna go with it. Coral type, Substrate, FOWLR, predator tank, clown anemone tank, invert tank, clam tank... the possibilities are as vast as the ocean and your imagination.

Considering your budget being tight, I'm sure you could Seal off those drain holes and run a canister filter and a HOTB skimmer. Its a good way to get started without breaking the bank and low maintenance. But I promise you, as I know well enough, eventually you are going to want a sump system if you decide to grow. Your best bet is not asking "A, b and c" questions here. You need to take a few days/weeks and browse all the forums' "Sticky" posts at the top of each forum. They are the ones that are there for newcomers.

Also, I suggest you take a break from Netflix or whatever you typically pass your time with, and start from the beginning of "BRS TV 365 Days of reefing" on youtube. Watch them in order, and all of your questions will be answered. There's too much to learn in this hobby in 1 thread. If you are serious about trying this out and really want to be successful, you have no choice but to do some research. There is no such thing as a ssuccessful reefer who didn't go through the same learning curve.

Fresh water is easy, this is science... literally.

R2R will always be here for specifics and emergencies, but you gotta do some climbing for yourself, you will be glad you did, trust me. Educating yourself will be rewarded with a healthy reef in the future.

Best advice I could give is what I just said, and take it slow... like.. really slow.

Best of luck!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 61 47.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 41 31.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 19 14.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 7 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back