New Tank Precautions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

AWildZacR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
To start, if there is already an existing thread on this please direct me there.
I've been keeping smaller mixed reef tanks between 5 and 40 gallons for five years now and now I'm ready to setup my red sea reefer 350 (73g)!
I'm newish to sumps and plumbing, and want to make sure I'm prepared for potential failures in equipment and problems with setup.
*What are some issues you all have heard of/came across both in red sea and general tank setup? And how have you safeguarded against them?
Thanks for reading my wordy topic!

reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Red Sea tanks make things pretty simple to figure out, even for someone without any past experience. I really had no issues with my 525 XL. Follow the directions and take your time and you will be fine.

WickedCZ4A

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Red Sea drain valve is pretty touchy.
Also when dialing in the flow, have the water level in the overflow to where it's just trickling into the emergency drain pipe. Otherwise your overflow/sump will be loud.

OP
OP
AWildZacR

AWildZacR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also when dialing in the flow, have the water level in the overflow to where it's just trickling into the emergency drain pipe. Otherwise your overflow/sump will be loud.
Thanks! Exactly the type of stuff I'm thinking about.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exactly were i keep mine despite what it says in the instructions certainly on the Max S Systems.

If you have the level below this ‘trickling down the emergency pipe point’ it only takes the water level to drop a little lower and you get the gurgling noise which is rather alarming especially the first time. I thought it was leeking!

I’m guessing it’s either thermal expansion of the water or pump output or a combination of both that causes this

Tallison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reinforce the stand if you live in earthquake country
I just moved from TX to California with my Red Sea 350 and this comment scares me, what’s a good way to brace the stand?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just moved from TX to California with my Red Sea 350 and this comment scares me, what’s a good way to brace the stand?
I’m not sure, I went a different route due to that being an issue.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exactly were i keep mine despite what it says in the instructions certainly on the Max S Systems.

If you have the level below this ‘trickling down the emergency pipe point’ it only takes the water level to drop a little lower and you get the gurgling noise which is rather alarming especially the first time. I thought it was leeking!

I’m guessing it’s either thermal expansion of the water or pump output or a combination of both that causes this

I have also read on R2R to set the water level approximately 1/4-1/2 inch below the emergency drain pipe. I have tried setting it there and also where it is trickling into the emergency drain pipe and either way it is extremely quiet.

OP
OP
AWildZacR

AWildZacR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP update! my new tank is up and running! Had a small leak around one gasket under the overflow, but some small adjustments fixed it quickly. While dialing in my overflow rate, I had a couple moments when I switched off my return pump, and caused a siphon from the display to the sump. Has anyone else found this?
*How can I prevent this in the event of a power outage or accidental shut off of the return pump?

machonachos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a siphon issue too. I drilled a tiny little hole in one of the loc-line segments for a siphon break. Whatever water that comes out of the hole is a just a trickle that returns into the disply

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back