New tank question

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, still working on my 300 gallon. Question, while Im still working on plumbing can I move livestock to the DT part and not fill it up all the way and use wave makers, airstones ect while Im still working with the sump? (No water in the overflow yet). I need more room to work and the two tanks Im tearing down are in the way. I was going to go buy totes and do it that way but that got me thinking why cant I just move the water, rocks and livestock into the DT with wavemakers/airstones and stuff until I finish the last part of the sump work? It would kind of be the same set up as the tote but actually in the tank in my mind… is that a crazy thing to try or could it work? Im only talking about a week before I do the leak test in the plumbing section and then start to fill the rest of the tank with the new SW?

Asm481

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only hitch I see would be having to premix the salt, heat it then add to the tank.
My preference with new tanks is fill with rodi straight from filter, then test all my plumbing under full stress with just water. All good I add the salt and heat it up to start cycle.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only hitch I see would be having to premix the salt, heat it then add to the tank.
My preference with new tanks is fill with rodi straight from filter, then test all my plumbing under full stress with just water. All good I add the salt and heat it up to start cycle.
Ah thats what I usually do anyway when adding new water to a tank, I was planning on adding all current tank water over then going from there adding some more fresh saltwater until the level is at a good spot then pausing until I have the sump up and running. Not sure Ill do this idea but wanted to see what others thought

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did that with my 210 when I got it. It was totally fine. No losses.
Cool! Make my life easier.
I don't see why not. I've kept fish and coral in stock tanks for a few months before.
Cool! Just figured instead of buying tubs I could save that money and put it towards the tank!

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Cool! Make my life easier.

Cool! Just figured instead of buying tubs I could save that money and put it towards the tank!
Mine actually ran for about six weeks or so without full plumbing. First I had it just the top without the overflow, then I was only able to get a single pump so I had flow on one side and through the sump without it being plumbed through the filter roller, then the second pump came and still it wasn’t fully plumbed for another 2-3 weeks because I’m not great when it comes to those things so it took a bit of doing to make it happen. Fish and coral were warm and aerated throughout. We make things more difficult than they have to be sometimes in this hobby. At least I know I do!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%

Back