New tank question

Landon K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I'm currently setting up my new reef. I rinsed my sand in tap water and it was still pretty wet when I added it so I want to add some seachem prime before I add the bacteria and ammonia. My question is, will the prime interfere with the ammonia I am going to add? Should I wait a bit after adding prime before I add the ammonia and bacteria? Thanks.

EagleEye121

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prime is designed to detoxify ammonia. I would think adding just ammonia would be good enough to start the cycle. If you’re going fishless, let nature work. If not, you’ll need prime to detoxify the ammonia for fish

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I'm currently setting up my new reef. I rinsed my sand in tap water and it was still pretty wet when I added it so I want to add some seachem prime before I add the bacteria and ammonia. My question is, will the prime interfere with the ammonia I am going to add? Should I wait a bit after adding prime before I add the ammonia and bacteria? Thanks.
I wouldn't use prime. The tap water isn't going to make an impact when that small of an amount

OP
OP
L

Landon K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't use prime. The tap water isn't going to make an impact when that small of an amount
Cool. My thought process was that the chlorine in the small amount of tap water might kill the microbacter I'm about to add. It's a 100 gallon system, so I suppose it should be diluted enough so that the trace chlorine shouldn't interfere?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. My thought process was that the chlorine in the small amount of tap water might kill the microbacter I'm about to add. It's a 100 gallon system, so I suppose it should be diluted enough so that the trace chlorine shouldn't interfere?
I wouldn't be concerned about it. Did the same with my 90g about 5 years ago.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prime is designed to detoxify ammonia. I would think adding just ammonia would be good enough to start the cycle. If you’re going fishless, let nature work. If not, you’ll need prime to detoxify the ammonia for fish
Prime is a dechlorinator as well. In fact, the only consistent results from adding Prime are dechlorination. There are many stories of Prime doing nothing for ammo, regardless of how you test.

EagleEye121

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prime is a dechlorinator as well. In fact, the only consistent results from adding Prime are dechlorination. There are many stories of Prime doing nothing for ammo, regardless of how you test.
You’re right. I overlooked the original post where tap water was mentioned.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back