New tank - rising levels

JvC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I am new to the saltwater side of this hobby. I set up 2 tanks in may. I set up a 65 and a 73. I have a question about my levels in the 73. I am using a trident. I have about 10 coral frags. Very small. The ALK level seems to be going up on the daily.

I am doing a daily waterchange of 1.8 gallons using a DOS. I am not otherwise treating or putting anything in the water. I am using ProRPM salt - the blue one.

Is this a concern or is this just normal?

1653914943921.png

MY PH is also lower than what the numbers call for, but like I said, I have put nothing in the water. This is interesting, here is the PH from both tanks:

1653915222979.png

I found this super cool, the PH levels in the 2 tanks - how they almost mirror each other. The tanks are in the same room, about 12 feet apart on opposite walls.

Josh

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I am new to the saltwater side of this hobby. I set up 2 tanks in may. I set up a 65 and a 73. I have a question about my levels in the 73. I am using a trident. I have about 10 coral frags. Very small. The ALK level seems to be going up on the daily.

I am doing a daily waterchange of 1.8 gallons using a DOS. I am not otherwise treating or putting anything in the water. I am using ProRPM salt - the blue one.

Is this a concern or is this just normal?

1653914943921.png

MY PH is also lower than what the numbers call for, but like I said, I have put nothing in the water. This is interesting, here is the PH from both tanks:

1653915222979.png

I found this super cool, the PH levels in the 2 tanks - how they almost mirror each other. The tanks are in the same room, about 12 feet apart on opposite walls.

Josh
The ph is probably lowish due to Co2 in the room. Ph tends to rise and fall like that over the course of a day, lower at night and higher during the day so it’s not surprising that the two tanks mirror each other since they’re in the same room. I don’t have a Trident so hopefully someone can chime in about the rise in alk.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you verify these results with any other testing method?

Fritz mixes to around 8.5dkh are you sure it didn't mix @9dkh or higher.

Either way its not a big jump right....

OP
OP
J

JvC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you verify these results with any other testing method?

Fritz mixes to around 8.5dkh are you sure it didn't mix @9dkh or higher.

Either way its not a big jump right....

No. I will order an ALK tester and verify the levels. The Trident may be off, but the level is rising - the numbers may just be skewed. I think possibly the answer is the Trident is off, and the water changes, which I started just a couple of weeks ago, are normalizing the levels? But, yea - it's not a big jump like you say.

OP
OP
J

JvC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ph is probably lowish due to Co2 in the room. Ph tends to rise and fall like that over the course of a day, lower at night and higher during the day so it’s not surprising that the two tanks mirror each other since they’re in the same room. I don’t have a Trident so hopefully someone can chime in about the rise in alk.

I will try opening the windows tonight after the temp falls below 80 and see if that helps overnight. I am reading the CO2 in the room @ 706 ppm.

OP
OP
J

JvC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the long delay. I have tried a lot ot things, I got the PH under control in the Reefer 350 using a co2 scrubber attached to the skimmer. But, the 65 cube is still a problem, even with a co2 scrubber. Perhaps the skimmer is not as powerful or its the design of the sump or taller tank, but it is still a struggle.

It is real obvious when the tank runs out of co2 media, lol
1660862246131.png

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back