New tank setup checklist - help me figure out what I'm missing!

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so for the new tank (80 gallon cube + 29 gallon sump) I've got the following equipment gathered up for setup -

protein skimmer
Algae scrubber
existing aqua gadget powerhead
red sea 35 gyre
1" threaded bulk heads
gate valves (3)
check valve for return
about 80 - 100 lbs in sand
SALT MIX
photon v2 fixture
simplicity 1000 DC return pump
industrial surge protector (12 sockets w/ switches)
300 w heater w/ inkbird + a random titanium element (I believe a 100w) for a backup

Still needed: LIVE ROCK (approx 50-60 lbs + currently in use live rock)

considering: Controller for monitoring (HYDROS?)

IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE ANYONE CAN THINK OF I'M MISSING????? I'm on the home stretch, hope to get the rest of my cleaning done this weekend, then I'll drain the freshwater tank in it's spot and start the process of moving it into position.

Thanks.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may not need both the powerhead and Red Sea gyre (assuming you mean the ReefWave25?) 80lbs is lot of sand - it will probably give you a 2"+ sandbed. Not sure you need the check valve on the return pump - but I understand why you might want it.

OP
OP
BanjoBandito

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may not need both the powerhead and Red Sea gyre (assuming you mean the ReefWave25?) 80lbs is lot of sand - it will probably give you a 2"+ sandbed. Not sure you need the check valve on the return pump - but I understand why you might want it.
I like deep sand beds due to some of the critters I like to keep. My plan for this tank is mixed reef with nothing over adult size of 4-5”. I’ve kept species specific tanks forever and I want something crazy vibrant and moving.
The extra power head is just that. Extra. It’s from my current system so I can yank it if it’s too much.
I’m just nervous. This is the biggest system I’ve put together that isn’t going to be FOWLR. The tank needs re-plumbed too and I’m not real fond or plumbing.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah IMHO ATO is a must.

if you have the space pick up a 40br for the sump. not as deep but wider so much better, you will have to make a skimmer stand if you go with the 29. just a thought.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest a good set of test kits. If you’re keeping corals you’ll need those. Also a plan for water changes either an extra pump and hose or a gravel vacuum. What about water and salt? Do you have an RODI system? Some simple “tank tools” likes tongs and bone cutters. Do you plan to quarantine your fish, and if so do you have that setup already?

OP
OP
BanjoBandito

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest a good set of test kits. If you’re keeping corals you’ll need those. Also a plan for water changes either an extra pump and hose or a gravel vacuum. What about water and salt? Do you have an RODI system? Some simple “tank tools” likes tongs and bone cutters. Do you plan to quarantine your fish, and if so do you have that setup already?
I have Hanna checkers and a good refractometer, along with salifert tests from my current tank. I should have all of that. I'm planning on using an old 29 gallon for QT but it's not setup yet as it's going to be awhile for fish.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you considered a UV?
for the first year to 18 months it seems to help a lot more than it hurts

I have found after 18 months it may not be required

OP
OP
BanjoBandito

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you considered a UV?
for the first year to 18 months it seems to help a lot more than it hurts

I have found after 18 months it may not be required
Yeah, i've got back and forth on a UV. At this point I'm leaning against it. I could never square up in my mind that a UV is necessary for success.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anecdote is not the plural of data

but in my 2 main tanks, have never had a Dino outbreak, nor cyan, and only one flair up of Ich in one and it has become quiescent

but it it not required

MickeyR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went completely skimmerless due to nitrates, etc being 0, dino's, etc. Once I did that in conjunction with a UV, havent added my skimmer back. Too me, I really like having the UV. Got the cheapest Aquaviolet one that would work on my tank and its been great. Make sure you put a drip loop. Good luck, always fun starting again.

OP
OP
BanjoBandito

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went completely skimmerless due to nitrates, etc being 0, dino's, etc. Once I did that in conjunction with a UV, havent added my skimmer back. Too me, I really like having the UV. Got the cheapest Aquaviolet one that would work on my tank and its been great. Make sure you put a drip loop. Good luck, always fun starting again.
honestly I hate protein skimmers. They smell and usually are wonky. I'm hoping the algae scrubber does the heavy lifting and is basically the anchor of my nutrient control system.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back