Order of operations for live rock transfer (new tank setup)

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building a new tank. I have 80 lbs of rock cycling right now in my garage, and will continue to cycle for next 40-60 days until the tank arrives and setup.

I want to transfer the LR and to the new tank, but don’t want to kill any bac by putting it in with RO water (will that happen?)

Is this the right process:

1) fill tank with RO
2) leak test it 8 hours
3) add salt / mix
4) remove X amount of Salt Water (waste?)
5) add sand
6) add cycled rock

I am going to assume I’ll have to take maybe 30-40 gallons out for the rock and sand. Not the end of the world, but could the cycled rock sit in the RO water for a day while it is being leak tested, saltwater mixing?

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I'd leak test for 24 hours. Are you doing this on a fully plumbed setup with your return pump running? Once you have taken care of any leaks and have salt mixed to the right level, then add your rock/sand. Adding your rock to plain water will kill off the bacteria on it. You have been ghost feeding this rock?

OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I was going to put all the equipment in and run it for a period of time (24 hours is fine). Probably keep the skimmer off while “testing”, along with the fleece filter (pull it out for short term).

Cycling wise, I just started today. Putting a Shrimp in to feed and will probably replace it after a month or so. It’s sitting in my garage so odor is a non-issue.

Before adding the live rock, could I take out a portion of the “clean” saltwater that was in the tank and store it? This would have only been in contact with equipment and tank surface.

OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is dry rock right?

I am starting with 80 lbs of dry rock and cycling it in a trash can. So theoretically by the time I setup my tank it will be cycled and be alive. Obviously not as good as ocean rock, but also not completly dry Marco rock

Attachments

• IMG_2838.jpeg
    IMG_2838.jpeg
    205.3 KB · Views: 25

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shrimp will work but personally I'd feed a pinch of pellet food each day. If you can purchase some actual ocean based LR to help seed the dry rock, that will also help also.

OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shrimp will work but personally I'd feed a pinch of pellet food each day. If you can purchase some actual ocean based LR to help seed the dry rock, that will also help also.

Sounds good! I am going to add another 20lbs of true ocean dry rock to the tank once it’s all setup. I want the critters and sponges, etc to survive as much as possible.

Considering I will be adding sand and stuff later (at tank setup time) I realize that another mini-cycle will happen again. But trying to get a head start on things.

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Some unsolicited advice… don’t forget to test and do water changes on the cycling rock. I neglected to do that with mine and when I realized the other day I should be testing it, I discovered my nitrates were 50 lol

That being said, ammonia is getting processed beautifully :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some unsolicited advice… don’t forget to test and do water changes on the cycling rock. I neglected to do that with mine and when I realized the other day I should be testing it, I discovered my nitrates were 50 lol

That being said, ammonia is getting processed beautifully :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Yeah, good call. I am planning to do 5% a week and maybe a 50% after a month. Mainly to try and pull out any phos, etc.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting with 80 lbs of dry rock and cycling it in a trash can. So theoretically by the time I setup my tank it will be cycled and be alive. Obviously not as good as ocean rock, but also not completly dry Marco rock
Ok. I did the same when I restarted my aquarium last year. You can see in my build thread. I actually just used bottled bacteria and occasionally placing some food in the water about once a week and it worked great. The rock was nice and cured and was seemless placing fish in when I was ready for transfer

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, good call. I am planning to do 5% a week and maybe a 50% after a month. Mainly to try and pull out any phos, etc.
Depending on the rock's origin, you may need to do a lot bigger water changes. 5% isnt much! You can only tell with testing. I had to do 100% water changes weekly and it didn't do much for the leaching nutrients. If they are high, a skimmer is your best option. If nutrients are high when you turn the lights on you are going to have a lot of issues. Get your Hanna test kit regimen going now.

OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the rock's origin, you may need to do a lot bigger water changes. 5% isnt much! You can only tell with testing. I had to do 100% water changes weekly and it didn't do much for the leaching nutrients. If they are high, a skimmer is your best option. If nutrients are high when you turn the lights on you are going to have a lot of issues. Get your Hanna test kit regimen going now.
It’s in a trash can right now. When I move it to the DT, I’ll essentially do a 100% water change. And maybe a 50% after a month if we’re it’s still cooking and new tank isn’t setup.

Once it’s in the DT, we’ll do the standard 5-10% a week and run the weekly Hanna tests.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back