New tank setup guidance

Sprunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have a 2 month old, 30 gallon tank setup and would just like some guidance or adjustment advice that might help the tank thrive aside from the basics i already have.

My previous tank was a 4 year old 44 gallon that was great, its just been awhile and I want to make sure I'm doing right by the community and the fish.

It is using a TetraWhisper IQ 30 filter, Aqueon 50w Heater and Aquaneat 480gph circ pump, a bit of live rock/piece of live rock with 40lbs of Caribsea Sand. Also has a basic white overhead light (no blue yet). Picked up a Sunrise Dottyback and a Courtjester Goby as starters.

Being that its been awhile since my last tank and I'm sure I've already done something terribly wrong here, just looking for guidance to help the system and fish work, thrive, and be healthy.

Thanks so much all!

1593029052682234962599538134259.jpg

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you've done anything wrong, and certainly nothing "terribly wrong". Are you planning on this tank being a FOWLR (fish only with live rock)? Or are you planning on adding corals? If you're going to add corals you'll have to upgrade your light and likely your filtration as well. If you're just keeping it a FOWLR you're probably good with the setup you have and can handle nutrient export with just water changes.

OP
OP
Sprunt

Sprunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you've done anything wrong, and certainly nothing "terribly wrong". Are you planning on this tank being a FOWLR (fish only with live rock)? Or are you planning on adding corals? If you're going to add corals you'll have to upgrade your light and likely your filtration as well. If you're just keeping it a FOWLR you're probably good with the setup you have and can handle nutrient export with just water changes.
For now I am doing a FOWLR tank, that is until I am confident the tank is mostly self sufficient as my old tank was. I'd definitely like to bring in a basic coral or anemone down the road but nothing anytime soon. I have also been looking at a few decent priced multicolor lights off Amazon for the tank, so that'll be taken care of fairly soon. What will I potentially need to change the filtering system for? Do they make better quality units better for coral?

Thanks!

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For now I am doing a FOWLR tank, that is until I am confident the tank is mostly self sufficient as my old tank was. I'd definitely like to bring in a basic coral or anemone down the road but nothing anytime soon. I have also been looking at a few decent priced multicolor lights off Amazon for the tank, so that'll be taken care of fairly soon. What will I potentially need to change the filtering system for? Do they make better quality units better for coral?

Thanks!

While a HOB filter can certainly work if you're diligent in keeping it clean, it can potentially become a nitrate factory. Fish can handle higher nitrates, as well as some heartier corals, but the more fish you add, the higher the bioload and the more work the filter has to do to keep up. You could potentially upsize your HOB filters to try and combat this issue. (i.e. If you have a 30 gallon tank, get a HOB rated for 50 gallons or 70 gallons.) However, it'd probably be a better investment to get a HOB skimmer or even a HOB refugium.

Again, I'm certainly not saying it can't be done, but it might make things easier for you if you added a HOB skimmer to help with nutrient export. Skimmers have the added bonus of aerating/oxygenating the water and can also help increase your pH.

Overall it looks like you're off to a good start and taking things slowly which is the best approach in this hobby.

OP
OP
Sprunt

Sprunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. So a HOB skimmer meaning a protein skimmer?

Also it looks like after adding the fish, live rock, and small portions of brine shrimp, my ammo ia, nitrate/nitrite levels have now raised...which I am assuming is normal. I did about a 40 percent water change, waited a day with no feeding, did another 40 percent today and added Seachem Prime, and will check again tomorrow. Am I doing the right thing? Or is there a better solution? I don't want the fish to die or suffer, and fortunately thus far they are acting completely normal over the course of 3ish days.

Thanks again for all the wisdom!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 34 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 12 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back