New Tank ... Some advice

reeffirstaid

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 11, 2012
Messages
449
Reaction score
81
Location
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I just set-up a 90 gallon fish only with live rock tank. I want to move my Chevron tang - been in QT for a month and my two Orange Spot filefish over. I set the tank up two days ago. Put 20 pds of live rock from one of my other tanks in with another 35 pounds from the fish store. Used Arag Alive live sand - 70 pounds as substrate - added a CPR HOB Refuge with Cheato from my other tank's fuge. I also replaced the chemi-pure, purigen and phosban on my other tank and put the old filter media from there in the fluval on the new tank to help seed it. Given all this think I am in the clear to move the Chevron over. He has been in a 20 gallon QT for a while and seems to be getting ancy. I also did a water change on my other tank (30 gallons) and added that water to the new 90.
 
I would ghost feed the tank for a couple of days and check the parameters before adding the tang.
 
You need to know that both ammonia and nitrites are zero. Otherwise, you will have dead fish. You did "seed" the tank, but you still need to test. You can also consider adding a nitrifying bacteria additive, such as Bio-Spira, to speed up the cycle. TEST, TEST and TEST!
 
i would agree it will still take you at least a week if not 2 for it to show o ammonia and nitrites
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new