New Tank Stand - Question about nylon feet for under the stand

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone recommend using those nylon feet you get from Home Depot which makes moving the tank much easier? Reason I ask is my tank stand is perfectly level however the stand is directly on the floor, so I want the feet in case I want to move it around my room.

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I never liked the idea of feet, as they concentrate all the weight of the stand and tank upon those small areas. Depending on the size of the system, floor construction and covering, i.e. particle board subflooring and/or wood flooring, you may be better off with a more broad distribution of weight.

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Jeff, however if you plan on being able to move the tank, it must not be a very large one. In that case, they would probably work but use a lot of them depending on the weight of your tank. If the tank is to large you would not be able to move it no matter what kind of feet it has.

OP
OP
zemuss

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning for a 60 gallon tank and i purchases these: [h=1]Everbilt 1 in. Dual Spike and Stick Furniture Slides[/h]However I think i will take them back and if I ever move the tank I will need to drain it.

solar

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YA 60 gallons is about 600 lbs with just water in it plus stand weight any rocks ect

OP
OP
zemuss

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to put a rug under the stand because I don't want it to sit directly on the tile.

Small triggers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used about 8 of those big furniture mover ones under my 50g not as pretty but kept it off the ground and made it easy to move...without taking out much water...

Intricateart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't use carpet.Over time water will get spilled or splashed working on tank.The carpet will rot and tank will be uneven,not to mention rot in your house.We have a 150gal on tile and even caulked the bottom of stand to floor so water can't get under it.You can scrape caulk right off if you move it.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's always best to have the stand sitting directly on the floor. You want the weight to be distributed as evenly as possible around the perimiter of the stand base.

rjcranor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put heavy duty castors under mine almost 2 years ago. Have a 2×6 skirt around the bottom that hides them.

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a piece of berber style carpet, cut exactly the same as the footprint for the stand, carpet side down on a hardwood floor. I used a piece of 1/2 ply on top of that, and the steel frame sits on the ply. I am worried that any water will wick into the carpet and ruin the hardwood, like Intricateart said.
floor_level.JPG

Bad Company

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the Home Depot carpet "slider thingys" under my stand. They are rated for 250# each, and I have one at each corner. I estimate my system at about 800 pounds. When I set up my system on a carpeted floor, the 1" tall carpt "slider thingys" disapeared into the carpet and pad under the weight. I doubt it would be easy to slide anything because they are so sunk in.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back