New tank starting with bleached rock

DrunkenViking

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I’m at the point of setting this new 40g breeder. I had some rock that was setting outside for a year I washed it down soaked it in vinegar a few days and then switched it to bleach which I will never do bleach again but that’s another story. After letting it soak a few days in the bleach and letting it air dry I’m about ready to put it in the tank. My question is I have read people saying soak it in fresh water after bleach but if I’m starting the tank up with no sand just rock and my sump should I still let the rock sit in fresh water for a while?

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would.deff.rinse it and air dry it a cpl times. Cycle it maybe in a bin of sw.for a.month. than put it in ur tank with new sw. The rock may be good to go by than with little to no cycle in the actual tank or system. Thats how i would do that.
D

OP
OP
DrunkenViking

DrunkenViking

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would.deff.rinse it and air dry it a cpl times. Cycle it maybe in a bin of sw.for a.month. than put it in ur tank with new sw. The rock may be good to go by than with little to no cycle in the actual tank or system. Thats how i would do that.
D
So my next question is why cycle it in a bin with then add to my tank? My tank will have no sand no livestock in it so why not just do it there? So I have set up a lot of tanks just never done it with the bleach method I always just bought live rock but I have hundreds of pounds of dead rock still laying around

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple answer. Short answer. Cleanliness. Messy.
Your gonna want ur display clean and neat. In my build thread ull see me doing what ur talking about.
Ur amnonia spike. Nitrates. Nitrites. Ph flux. Ur water will be going through a lot during cycle. I just would want fresh sw and rock shaked off in the bin prior to placing in the display nice and wet and "live" of bacteria.
Again. U can do it in ur tank. Just do a wc or clean up after everything settles and clears. I ran fw in my system before i.added salt. Lol.
D

OP
OP
DrunkenViking

DrunkenViking

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple answer. Short answer. Cleanliness. Messy.
Your gonna want ur display clean and neat. In my build thread ull see me doing what ur talking about.
Ur amnonia spike. Nitrates. Nitrites. Ph flux. Ur water will be going through a lot during cycle. I just would want fresh sw and rock shaked off in the bin prior to placing in the display nice and wet and "live" of bacteria.
Again. U can do it in ur tank. Just do a wc or clean up after everything settles and clears. I ran fw in my system before i.added salt. Lol.
D
That is definitely a good point for sure

OP
OP
DrunkenViking

DrunkenViking

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am the outlier here and say just start the tank up. Any remaining bleach residue is going to give you chlorine. Chlorine does not last any length of time in saltwater. If you had livestock i would say differently to error on safe side.
I am not adding any live rock and was told to us something that gets rid of the chlorine automatically. The reason I am asking all of this is just to save time and having to go get another container to do all of this in. I have read both sides of people saying do it with a sw bath for 30 days after other people saying the just bleach and throw it in after it’s dry. I’m not in any hurry to get it going for fish and coral.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.5%
Back