New Tank-Tall or Long?

Bryon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking into getting a new tank, 125 gallons or more. I would like to have a tang or angel. My question is, would it be better to have a long tank or tall tank. I have room for either one so that's not an issue.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long. The fish swim more back and forth, not so much up and down.

Mrfresh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If u can go with a long deep tank.
My 300 was 8ft long and 30inches front to back.
Fish like being able to swim behind the rocks and by each other with out running into each other...

OP
OP
Bryon

Bryon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured long would be better, but just wanted other opinions before buying. Thanks

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely long. It's hard to do maintenance to a tall tank.

OP
OP
Bryon

Bryon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're already getting a 125 why not a 180? Same length just a little wider maybe. Mine is a standard 6x2x2 and I love it.

Actually, I just price checked my area for a 180 gallon. Do you have a build thread or link for your 180? I'd just like an idea of sump size, pump, etc.

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more vote for wider. It's easier to place rocks so they don't touch the glass and gives you a lot more room for a wider sump. Deep tanks make it hard to reach the bottom. More light penetration - a long list.

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I just price checked my area for a 180 gallon. Do you have a build thread or link for your 180? I'd just like an idea of sump size, pump, etc.

I don't have a build thread but I can tell you what I have....and what not to do! I used a 55 gallon aquarium for my sump. Siliconed in some baffles so I have a skimmer, refugium and return pump chamber. Return pump is a singe Eheim 1262 that also runs my GFO. In tank flow is provided by 2 Tunze 6105s and 2 Tunze 6095s. Skimmer is a SRO-3000INT...love it. Built my own stand out of 2x4s skinned with 1/4" mahogany.

If I had to do it again I would probably get a steel stand made. I way overbuilt my stand and now there isn't near as much room under the tank for my sump and other equipment as I could have had. I would also look at getting a custom sump built...just a lot more options this way (the modified aquariums do work well though to save money).

OP
OP
Bryon

Bryon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a build thread but I can tell you what I have....and what not to do! I used a 55 gallon aquarium for my sump. Siliconed in some baffles so I have a skimmer, refugium and return pump chamber. Return pump is a singe Eheim 1262 that also runs my GFO. In tank flow is provided by 2 Tunze 6105s and 2 Tunze 6095s. Skimmer is a SRO-3000INT...love it. Built my own stand out of 2x4s skinned with 1/4" mahogany.

If I had to do it again I would probably get a steel stand made. I way overbuilt my stand and now there isn't near as much room under the tank for my sump and other equipment as I could have had. I would also look at getting a custom sump built...just a lot more options this way (the modified aquariums do work well though to save money).

What are you using for heat? Do you use a controller?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back