Pazernaker

Pazernaker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R :)

Would you happen to know your phosphate reading after testing?
I don't. The only things I know are the one's posted. I'm adding to my test kit beyond the basics as people recommend them, so I'll pick that test up as well on my way home today.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect, thanks for all the info! The end goal is to make it a mostly coral tank, but for now, I'm just trying to get it stable and learn before I start throwing more expensive things in there. The hammer coral was one of the first things I threw in there after the first cleaning, so I'm not shocked it died. Good thing you said avoid cucumbers, I was thinking about picking one up, but I'll just keep adding snails and I'll pick up a kit for magnesium today and start adding that to my test log.

Currently, I test about every two days and keep a running spreadsheet going so I can chart trends. Would you suggest changing out the live sand at all, or should I let the tank handle cleaning what's in there already?
You have a solid approach here. I think you will do well!
Cucumbers can absolutely be done in a 75g, but they come with their own set of things you have to monitor and they really need an active, mature bed, and the correct, non poisonous species. Perhaps down the line :)

deepseabc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does leaving the lights off for a few days help things?
The light is what the algae is using for "food". It doesn't sound like your problem is that bad ATM. If you turn it off completely (especially right after you vaccum) hopefully that will be enough to slow and/or kill off what algae is left. Then when you turn the lights on again (for less than 12 hours) hopefully the good bacteria in the tank will be using the nutrients and not allow the algae to get a foot hold again.

deepseabc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting with an Rodi unit would help. Raising salinity also. A few water changes would help as well.
Agree. Being on a well it's possible you may not need the RO portion (depending on what other filtration you have in place). But it certainly wouldn't hurt. Either way getting a few canisters of DI filter to push your well water through is likely a necessity.

OP
OP
Pazernaker

Pazernaker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. Being on a well it's possible you may not need the RO portion (depending on what other filtration you have in place). But it certainly wouldn't hurt. Either way getting a few canisters of DI filter to push your well water through is likely a necessity.

Thanks for the input! We have an RODI filter at work, I may just steal 20 gallons every few weeks and check that variable off :)

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the salty world. Well done in making progress from the state the tank was in when purchased. Lots of good advice already given. I would also recommend getting an ro/di unit. Also good quality test kits. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
film hello GIF by The LEGO Movie

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect, thanks for all the info! The end goal is to make it a mostly coral tank, but for now, I'm just trying to get it stable and learn before I start throwing more expensive things in there. The hammer coral was one of the first things I threw in there after the first cleaning, so I'm not shocked it died. Good thing you said avoid cucumbers, I was thinking about picking one up, but I'll just keep adding snails and I'll pick up a kit for magnesium today and start adding that to my test log.

Currently, I test about every two days and keep a running spreadsheet going so I can chart trends. Would you suggest changing out the live sand at all, or should I let the tank handle cleaning what's in there already?

Welcome! Glad you joined. My advice ... SLOW DOWN...

Your cleanups, while needed are likely throwing your tank into continued 'brand new tank' mode. Stop adding fish until you have everything controlled or at least stable. Stop adding corals until you have everything controlled or at least stable. So much has been happening so fast. You are doing outstanding keeping everything alive as you combat her neglect. Give yourself and your tank time to settle. With what you have already accomplish, I can tell you will be super successful in this hobby but don't burn yourself out early on.

Nitrates, phosphates and light (esp white and/or sunlight) are fuel for algae. They are suggesting turning off lights to help you get to the other side of the algae growth battle.

FYI: I don't believe your nitrate numbers at above 1 PPM given everything else you describe further above, though I could be wrong - it wouldn't hurt to go to a LFS (or two) and get second opinion on your water parameters (or third opinion). If nothing is close to you, you could send away and have an ICP test done but due to postal mail it takes longer to get back results (... gets back to SLOW DOWN thinking... lol)

You ask about water, someone mentioned RO/DI, and I know you said well water with conditioners, etc. I'm in RO/DI camp, so I'll vote for RO/DI when you can enhance what you have.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID).

This might help you find people local to you:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the salty side and the community! That is a nice looking tank! We'll get you sorted out. You have received good advice so far. I would suggest not adding anything new until the tank has stabilized. It's amazing how much a tank can adjust to even if neglected. It probably came to a certain level of stability even though the previous owner let it go. The move of everything probably caused a bit of upset but the rapid changes you have made in cleaning stuff up (which we all understand) has probably thrown everything way out of whack.

What test kits are you using? 0-5ppm ammonia is quite a spread. 0 good, 5 is bad but it's probably not truly 5 otherwise you probably would've lost everything by now. It sound alike it might be API?

I would say you need to start going slow and methodical unless you see your inhabitants starting to struggle they might need to go into a temp tank for now (Rubbermaid bins work for this). What you should probably do is repost under the "new to saltwater" section so we can begin to dissect what's going on (like with the algae, etc) and post if you have done any changes mentioned in this thread.

You will have a beautiful tank once we get you sorted! It is a rewarding hobby but it has it's challenges and it is a steep learning curve. Your tank will probably go through a complete reset so keep your expectations low for awhile. The ugly phase is a real thing and is probably the one thing that causes beginners to give up the hobby quickly. Go slow and have patience. I'm new as well. About 9 months in at this point and I'm finally starting to see the uglies disappear and some semblance of stability is finally happening. :)

Back