New tank with old media

wagadodo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi all!

So my fluval evo gave up on me and one of the seals went. I managed to salvage my livestock and it’s now sitting in a separate container. I have a 4 big bags of media which has been established for 2 years. Livestock consists of 1 clown fish, 1 royal gramma, 1 peacock wrasse and 1 cleaner shrimp.

In terms of corals I have they’re mainly eughyllia and sps like seriatapora, stylophora and montipora (different varieties)

My new tank arrived today but I’m wanting to do a new scape and use a thicker grain substrate.

What steps would you take in order to get everything moved to the new tank with minimal coral deaths?

Thanks!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just plop and drop assuming the salinity and temperature is the same.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can keep corals in sorta a state of suspended animation using LOTS airstones, no light, no fish, no inverts ….they should be good like that for a few days… even with no light

I’ve had great success transferring corals and fish this way while the tank is being setup …

some hard lessons:
power heads blasting away, same direction is bad… again, I use a powerful pump and airstones…Air bubbles irritating/killing corals is bunk…

I skip the heater, IME as unneeded risk at room temps, cooler is better anyway
I’ve had a single dead snail kill everything …keep your inverts separate from fish

I keep my fish with any “pre-charged” bio media…I do BLAST a power head across my marinepure bricks/biomedia.. I use an air venturi on like a maxi jet 800, again blasting across the biomedia…. I’ve kept a lot of fish in garbage cans just like that

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS don't forget the new tank water will have 0 nitrate and 0 phosphate, so make sure to feed the corals enough until you have those detectable.

OP
OP
W

wagadodo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS don't forget the new tank water will have 0 nitrate and 0 phosphate, so make sure to feed the corals enough until you have those detectable.
I have bottled nitrate and phosphate already, dosing this should be okay?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 34 18.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 138 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.3%
Back