New tank

howard1818

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm getting ready to set up my first tank. Looking at a 36x24x24 tank and stand from Planet Aquarium, My LFS recommends an Eshopps rs 100 sump with sicce syncra 4.0 cobalt heaters and a Hydor Circ. I am looking to do a fish only, lion fish, trigger, maroon clown etc type tank. any suggestions for a protein skimmer? thoughts on what I'm planning so far? Thanks in advance for all the help, excited to get started.

Also trying to figure out lighting, there are some less expensive options for fish only but I was thinking of 2 kessil 160's I saw some in a store and really like to effect they have.

Last edited:

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. Congratulations on setting up your first sump

I have been using a RLSS R5-i skimmer and have been pretty happy with it. It has a small foot print in my sump. How much water volume do you think you will have after scape and sand?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

A 36" tank will be small for a lion and trigger, unfortunately.

Keep us posted with your build! :)

OP
OP
H

howard1818

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. Congratulations on setting up your first sump

I have been using a RLSS R5-i skimmer and have been pretty happy with it. It has a small foot print in my sump. How much water volume do you think you will have after scape and sand?
don't know starting at around 90

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ahh, then you are looking for something that skims around a 100 gallons. Also know that one can have to much skimmer for the system.

Here is a read/review on skimmers link. I would suggest to narrow it down to a choice of 4 and throw another thread up and get the pros and cons from members on the 4 choices.

skybears

Lovin it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm getting ready to set up my first tank. Looking at a 36x24x24 tank and stand from Planet Aquarium, My LFS recommends an Eshopps rs 100 sump with sicce syncra 4.0 cobalt heaters and a Hydor Circ. I am looking to do a fish only, lion fish, trigger, maroon clown etc type tank. any suggestions for a protein skimmer? thoughts on what I'm planning so far? Thanks in advance for all the help, excited to get started.

Also trying to figure out lighting, there are some less expensive options for fish only but I was thinking of 2 kessil 160's I saw some in a store and really like to effect they have.
Hi there first off I'd like to say welcome to Reef2reef Cher you will start a new adventure there are many of us new people they are just starting out also doing this doing that asking tons and tons of questions. The people are amazing and full of information with the kindness to share their ups and downs. The threads you can spend hours learning of so many things I spend a lot of time reading about equipment because that's something that I'm silly over. But I'm so happy you found it and I wanted to say welcome to Reef to reef and welcome to your new home

OP
OP
H

howard1818

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ahh, then you are looking for something that skims around a 100 gallons. Also know that one can have to much skimmer for the system.

Here is a read/review on skimmers link. I would suggest to narrow it down to a choice of 4 and throw another thread up and get the pros and cons from members on the 4 choices.
thanks that was very helpful much appreciated

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!
I just got a 120 from planet aquariums and so far so good!

Please start a build thread in the member tanks forum so we can see the progression and you'll have a record of events to look back on.
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/member-tanks.52/

IMG_1881.JPG

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am extremely pleased with the Hydor recirculating skimmer, and find it to be a good value. “Recirculating” means it uses it’s own pump, or you run it off your main pump’s return plumbing. With a recirculating skimmer, you do not have to make frequent/annoying adjustments due to fluctuations that may occur in the level of water in your sump.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 75 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back