New to Aquaria with a 65 Gal Tank

mitchelmck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi y’all,
brand new to this forum, but I figured I’d reach out because I gotta learn somehow. I recently was gifted a 65 gallon RedSea tank which already had quite a few corals living in it. I’d love to identify what I have so I’ll be attaching a photo. If you have any tips let me know, honestly quite new to this. The tank was given to me for free, and they were going to just get rid of it so I couldn’t let that happen.
image of tank
image of coral close up

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi y’all,
brand new to this forum, but I figured I’d reach out because I gotta learn somehow. I recently was gifted a 65 gallon RedSea tank which already had quite a few corals living in it. I’d love to identify what I have so I’ll be attaching a photo. If you have any tips let me know, honestly quite new to this. The tank was given to me for free, and they were going to just get rid of it so I couldn’t let that happen.
image of tank
image of coral close up
Sounds like a great setup! I can’t open the links. Try posting them using the “attach files” button below.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice especially for a free tank!
If you use the picture thingy (below) we can draw on your pictures and id them.
Screenshot_20220714-114758.png

It looks like you might have a hammer (big one on the left) some kind of leather (right of that) maybe a favia or micromussa (green on the far left) otherwise I can't tell.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice mix of corals for free, buying them all seperately would cost a fortune, not to mention a great tank for free, wow!. They are mainly easier corals.

The big fluffy one in the middle is a hammer coral, the polyps are shaped like hammers.
The green ones behind the hammer are zoa's of some kind.
The red to the right of the hammer looks like red monti cap, but I could be wrong here.
The green to the left of the hammer is candy cane coral.
To the right of the red monti are some leathers, but I dont know leathers so cant identify them.

OP
OP
M

mitchelmck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice especially for a free tank!
If you use the picture thingy (below) we can draw on your pictures and id them.
Screenshot_20220714-114758.png

It looks like you might have a hammer (big one on the left) some kind of leather (right of that) maybe a favia or micromussa (green on the far left) otherwise I can't tell.
IMG_6301.jpg
IMG_6302.jpg
IMG_6303.jpg
IMG_6300.jpg

I believe this should've worked, sorry I am not used to forums like these.

OP
OP
M

mitchelmck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice mix of corals for free, buying them all seperately would cost a fortune, not to mention a great tank for free, wow!. They are mainly easier corals.

The big fluffy one in the middle is a hammer coral, the polyps are shaped like hammers.
The green ones behind the hammer are zoa's of some kind.
The red to the right of the hammer looks like red monti cap, but I could be wrong here.
The green to the left of the hammer is candy cane coral.
To the right of the red monti are some leathers, but I dont know leathers so cant identify them.
This was really helpful, thank you. I am extremely new to this, but the coral seems to be pretty happy currently. What would you recommend my next steps to be? I don't want to mess it up and have them all die off because of a stupid mistake I made.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I agree they look happy.

The 2 main things to do now is get test kits (not API) and learn how to use them, learn where your water parameters should be and how to correct parameters if needed. When a coral looks unhappy, the first thing we do is test parameters, its an important part of the hobby.

The second thing is to read up on coral care, about lighting, PAR, flow, feeding, Soft corals, LPS, SPS, coral placement, coral aggression, etc....

Good luck!

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hugely helpful.
IMG_6301~2.jpg

1) zoa or palythoa, 2) hammer, and a nice one, 3) some kind of leather, 4) as stated above trumpet coral, 5) may be a pipe organ or clove polyp.
IMG_6302.jpg

Top: maybe a stylopora, bottom is a rock flower anemone.

Your last picture, the red look like a rhodactis mushroom.

If someone disagrees with me trust them.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back