New to coral.. VERY PARANOID

grynning4fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wanting to add some corals to my tank. Im a newbie when it comes to them and have stayed away from them after hearing about Palytoxin.
I DON’T WANT TO DIE.
Does Gsp contain any toxins? I don’t plan on touching it.. but if I accidentally do is it harmful?
If i put my hands in the tank and don’t wash my hands, then go eat some chips or touch my mouth lets say.. AM I GOING TO DIE?
Does the water become toxic with corals in there or am i just way to paranoid and a hypochondriac?
All my parameters are good to go.. Just need this answered before i proceed.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all honesty, most corals are fine to be around. It’s mostly each other that they have issues with. Stingers and such. Zoas can have some toxins but just be cautious when handling them especially out of the water. Palythoas are like really big zoas and have palytoxins. That’s one coral I personally will not ever have. Everything else I say try it and just don’t lick them! :grinning-face-with-sweat:

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wanting to add some corals to my tank. Im a newbie when it comes to them and have stayed away from them after hearing about Palytoxin.
I DON’T WANT TO DIE.
Does Gsp contain any toxins? I don’t plan on touching it.. but if I accidentally do is it harmful?
If i put my hands in the tank and don’t wash my hands, then go eat some chips or touch my mouth lets say.. AM I GOING TO DIE?
Does the water become toxic with corals in there or am i just way to paranoid and a hypochondriac?
Corals are pretty harmless. Most zoas don't contain palytoxin, and you won't get poisoned unless you scrub them, boil them, eat them for dinner or do something weird. They won't harm you at all and will be just fine in your tank. Just wear a mask, gloves, eye pro while handling corals/fragging and especially zoas. I think which zoas contain are unknown but are mostly palythoas. Palys are pretty much big and usually uglier versions of zoas. I don't like them very much

GSPs don't contain any toxins.
Some corals will release toxins/sting other corals to kill corals around them as coral warfare but that has no harm for humans.

There's really nothing to worry about with this hobby. It's probably one of the safest ones :) Just wear protection while handling them, but if you're worried about anything specific you can post here and I'm sure people here will be more than happy to help you out!

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old to coral.... Still paranoid. But not about safety.

Just buy a cheap piece that you can deal with dying OR THRIVING. A lot of tanks have been overrun with green star polyps test pieces. Get a couple zoas and put them on the sand.

If you are afraid of toxins, stay away from palythoa and wash your hands after you go in. I wear black nitrile gloves when I handle coral or go in the water. Mostly for the corals protection. Not mine. I am much more rugged than they are. So are you.

OP
OP
grynning4fish

grynning4fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals are pretty harmless. Most zoas don't contain palytoxin, and you won't get poisoned unless you scrub them, boil them, eat them for dinner or do something weird. They won't harm you at all and will be just fine in your tank. Just wear a mask, gloves, eye pro while handling corals/fragging and especially zoas. I think which zoas contain are unknown but are mostly palythoas. Palys are pretty much big and usually uglier versions of zoas. I don't like them very much

GSPs don't contain any toxins.
Some corals will release toxins/sting other corals to kill corals around them as coral warfare but that has no harm for humans.

There's really nothing to worry about with this hobby. It's probably one of the safest ones :) Just wear protection while handling them, but if you're worried about anything specific you can post here and I'm sure people here will be more than happy to help you out!
Thank you!
I tell people i’m scared of corals and they look at me funny lol.
I don’t want anything dangerous.. I have two little kids, I don’t want anything that could possibly harm them either. Thats why I asked if the water was fine. Just incase they were to put their hands in… might be an odd question but better safe than sorry.

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!
I tell people i’m scared of corals and they look at me funny lol.
I don’t want anything dangerous.. I have two little kids, I don’t want anything that could possibly harm them either. Thats why I asked if the water was fine. Just incase they were to put their hands in… might be an odd question but better safe than sorry.
Yea no problem! I was also worried about palytoxin when I got in the hobby
If coral was toxic most of us in this forum won't be here

There's no problem at asking questions. Always ask when in doubt!
Sticking your hand in water should have no issues, just wash your hands :)
You'll do more harm to the coral than to yourself

OP
OP
grynning4fish

grynning4fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old to coral.... Still paranoid. But not about safety.

Just buy a cheap piece that you can deal with dying OR THRIVING. A lot of tanks have been overrun with green star polyps test pieces. Get a couple zoas and put them on the sand.

If you are afraid of toxins, stay away from palythoa and wash your hands after you go in. I wear black nitrile gloves when I handle coral or go in the water. Mostly for the corals protection. Not mine. I am much more rugged than they are. So are you.
I kind of wanted my tank overrun by gsp. I like the look of it when they form a carpet on the sand bed.

OP
OP
grynning4fish

grynning4fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all honesty, most corals are fine to be around. It’s mostly each other that they have issues with. Stingers and such. Zoas can have some toxins but just be cautious when handling them especially out of the water. Palythoas are like really big zoas and have palytoxins. That’s one coral I personally will not ever have. Everything else I say try it and just don’t lick them! :grinning-face-with-sweat:
Noted. Don’t lick the corals lol

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I DON’T WANT TO DIE.
Ive got a tank full of zoas. Theyve got a very deadly toxin in them. Never once had an issue. Ive even ticked a colony off by knocking it off its perch (on accident) and having no way to not grab it without touching a ton of the polyps. Still nothing and no fish casualties. I also have a lionfish and a foxface in that tank. Im not worried about any of them. Now my purple tang who isnt toxic at all makes me nervous cause he actually attacks my hand if its near him. As long as you keep good water and supplement the corals with food you shouldnt have an issue with toxic corals. I e had more issues handling my nems than any coral (that isnt a type of fire coral). I say start with zoas, beautiful and very easy to keep

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay i’ll isolate them.
I also love Gsp…. Just not everywhere. I grow mine on the back glass. Here is a pic of what it looked like on my 65 gallon and the last pic is how I do it. I place a frag or rock at the base of the glass and let it grow. My new tank is doing this now. Just one option.
IMG_3524.jpeg
IMG_5350.jpeg

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
OP , please take a deep breathe . This hobby is relaxing and enjoyable if you let it be. Don’t let it work 1000 scenarios that could happen

OP
OP
grynning4fish

grynning4fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also love Gsp…. Just not everywhere. I grow mine on the back glass. Here is a pic of what it looked like on my 65 gallon and the last pic is how I do it. I place a frag or rock at the base of the glass and let it grow. My new tank is doing this now. Just one option.
IMG_3524.jpeg
IMG_5350.jpeg
So pretty! It adds so much colour to the tank. You have some beautiful corals!

marinesnow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Zoanthids and palythoas are the only ones known to have palytoxin. And I used to have the same concern, but there's really nothing to worry about, so long as you don't do anything crazy like those before me mentioned.

Personally I don't keep zoas anymore, because they are a pain to frag and can take over an aquascape--unless they're on their own separate island.

Forewarning, the coral bug is strong. It's been many years and I still enjoy it to this day.

Happy reef keeping!

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So pretty! It adds so much colour to the tank. You have some beautiful corals!
Thank you! I’m actually considering trying zoas on the glass. I’ve tried cyphastria and lepto and monti, but they just never really took off…. With exception of a monti cap. That did very well and I am currently trying the green monti cap again.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back