OP
grynning4fish

grynning4fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I’m actually considering trying zoas on the glass. I’ve tried cyphastria and lepto and monti, but they just never really took off…. With exception of a monti cap. That did very well and I am currently trying the green monti cap again.
Zoas would look awesome!

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So pretty! It adds so much colour to the tank. You have some beautiful corals!
Another low light option is cyphestrea. My tank is murky because I'm doing some maintenance. But same story, place a frag against the back glass and let it grow.

This is about as big around as a baseball. Mine is growing down because it's got quite a bit of light from the top. May add monti cap up high later on and see how it goes off of the glass.
PXL_20230529_064957957.jpg

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So pretty! It adds so much colour to the tank. You have some beautiful corals!
Another low light option is cyphestrea. My tank is murky because I'm doing some maintenance. But same story, place a frag against the back glass and let it grow.

This is about as big around as a baseball. Mine is growing down because it's got quite a bit of light once the cyphestrea takes the bottom I may put something that can handle more light on the top half.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is about as big around as a baseball. Mine is growing down because it's got quite a bit of light from the top. May add monti cap up high later on and see how it goes off of the glass.
Nice! I’m sure high light was my biggest issue when trying cyphastria. The monti cap did very well but will shade anything below it obviously. Mine grew upwards quite a bit before it started forming plates. About the time that started, I upgraded tanks, and it just broke apart trying to remove it. I was able to save a few pieces to try again though, and now have a purple one to go next to it and want a red also. Hopefully they can grow into each other for a cool color mesh.
IMG_3522.jpeg

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I’m sure high light was my biggest issue when trying cyphastria. The monti cap did very well but will shade anything below it obviously. Mine grew upwards quite a bit before it started forming plates. About the time that started, I upgraded tanks, and it just broke apart trying to remove it. I was able to save a few pieces to try again though, and now have a purple one to go next to it and want a red also. Hopefully they can grow into each other for a cool color mesh.
IMG_3522.jpeg
Gorgeous tank by the way. How wide you get the cap to stick to the back? I was thinking about using a sacrificial magnetic frag rack for a single plug.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous tank by the way. How wide you get the cap to stick to the back? I was thinking about using a sacrificial magnetic frag rack for a single plug.
How did I? I’m assuming that’s what you meant. I use the sandwich method of superglue/epoxy/superglue. Some stick once and stay. The monti cap and a couple others were like that… but a couple other frags seemed to get knocked off every couple of days. Once it encrusts onto the glass though, it’s there for good it seems.

And thank you! That tank was really starting to find its groove about the same time I upgraded tanks.

OP
OP
grynning4fish

grynning4fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is about as big around as a baseball. Mine is growing down because it's got quite a bit of light once the cyphestrea takes the bottom I may put something that can handle more light on the top half.
I’ve seen people cover skulls with this coral. Looks pretty cool!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 89 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back