New to coral

CrystalMcdonald

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this coral for about 3 weeks and I found my coral this morning losing pieces. What do you think?

IMG_20200326_071324337_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Ding2daDong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly it isn't looking too hot right now. Losing tissue and on the verge of death/dying, but it could just be part of it. I would limit the lighting and flow and double check all your parameters ie Cal,Alk,pH,Nitrate,P04,salinity etc. How is everything else doing in the tank? Anything else look stressed out? Maybe someone could chime in with more info to help.

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goniopora are difficult corals to keep. If you are truly new to corals, that's not a good one to start with. I'd suggest something more hardy, like some soft corals. Toadstool leathers, mushrooms, green star polyps, xenia and the like.

Unfortunately I have no suggestion for saving your goni, as I couldn't keep my own alive.

The cats wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goniopora or teapot coral are not easy they from what i have heard enjoy nutrient rich water...DONT GIVE UP get some leather coral (small one) they grow fast) they fill a tank and look nice then work your way into lps corals (they are cool b.c they have tenticals that extend at night for feeding when you get lps corals you in a sense get 2 diffferent corals b.c from day to night they look indistinguishable

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the most difficult corals to keep, gonipora’s...

Beat to start researching before you buy.

OP
OP
CrystalMcdonald

CrystalMcdonald

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did move it lower, everything else in my tank is thriving. I had my parameters checked at my lfs store Saturday and my magnesium was a smidge low nothing alarming. I will give it a few days. Thanks

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back