New to Dosing and need advice

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am considering dosing Alk-Ca-Mg. I have never gone down this path. I only have 2 Clowns in there so I'd like to avoid water changes and use something with trace elements as well. I enjoy mixing chemicals if its going to save a significant amount of money. If I can find a 2-part that contains everything I need though and considering that it's only 40g, I don't mind paying for ready to use chemicals. I also need suggestions on a doser. I already have 2x Kameor X1s so if it's a 2-part, I'm already set. I also have AllForReef but I'm told that is to maintain so help me get there so that I can use the cheap AFR please. I ran an Alk test yesterday and it was 4.0. I looked at the expiration on the reagents and it was 2020. I have fresh alk and Ca reagents incoming. I do 25% WC weekly for now so I'm not concerned that it is that low. It's a new tank with stable PO4 and NO3. I see ESV B-Ionic mentioned a lot as well as Tropic Marin Balling Method. Should I give it a go and see how much I'm consuming before mixing my own?

Also, would I continue to dose kalk in my ATO? I enjoy the pH benefits and would like to keep it in the mix.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mikeltee

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are there stony corals in this tank?
There is going to be everything in the tank. Right now there is SPS torches zoas acans and blastos. SPS is limited for now because it's a new tank and I don't want to go killing expensive sticks until I can prove to myself that it is capable.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use ballin method w/trace(a-,k+). You can keep kalk top off. I suggest you start testing everything, everyday, until you have a couple weeks of consistent results that you can trust before you begin dosing. Many options for dosing pumps, you need to decide how much you want to spend. Personally, I will never use one that doesn't utilize stepper motors again. I use these dosetronic, 5 heads for $750- about 160$ a head. Seems very reasonable to me. The resolution of these stepper motors is incredible, I can dose 1 drop at a time if I wanted. There are other options, I believe all with stepper motors are similarly accurate.

OP
OP
Mikeltee

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use ballin method w/trace(a-,k+). You can keep kalk top off. I suggest you start testing everything, everyday, until you have a couple weeks of consistent results that you can trust before you begin dosing. Many options for dosing pumps, you need to decide how much you want to spend. Personally, I will never use one that doesn't utilize stepper motors again. I use these dosetronic, 5 heads for $750- about 160$ a head. Seems very reasonable to me. The resolution of these stepper motors is incredible, I can dose 1 drop at a time if I wanted. There are other options, I believe all with stepper motors are similarly accurate.
That sounds like a plan! How big is your tank? Can you replace the heads on that beast of a pump? That's a little out of budget but I'll keep my eyes peeled for a used one. I work in pharma, and I'll start looking around for pumps that are being retired as that is one heck of an investment for a $40 tank. Lol

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
180g sys. Yes the heads are replaceable(I haven't had to in the 3yrs I had it) medical grade sounds even better...

SPSReeferMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered Kalkwasser? It’s inexpensive and provides both calcium and alkalinity in a single solution. Plus it gives a big pH boost.

I personally stated off right away with 2-part and could’ve probably done Kalkwasser for the first year.

Only downside is that you can only dose as much as your tank evaporates, so at some point your demand could outstrip your evaporation.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you discontinue water changes, the opportunity for changes in your parameters will increase and make dosing more important as I assume you understand based on your question.

Before you start dosing, get your measurement routine well established. You don't need to measure every day, but once a week would be a good starting point. Stability should be your goal. The two-part and Kalkwasser methods described by Randy work really well and are not that expensive to implement. Your 25% weekly water changes have likely provided stability, but rapid coral growth can cause depletion.

OP
OP
Mikeltee

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have you considered Kalkwasser? It’s inexpensive and provides both calcium and alkalinity in a single solution. Plus it gives a big pH boost.

I personally stated off right away with 2-part and could’ve probably done Kalkwasser for the first year.

Only downside is that you can only dose as much as your tank evaporates, so at some point your demand could outstrip your evaporation.
I'm running kalk right now. I dose about 150ml at a concentration of 1.5t/g every 2 hours for most of the day to help combat lowish ph.

OP
OP
Mikeltee

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you discontinue water changes, the opportunity for changes in your parameters will increase and make dosing more important as I assume you understand based on your question.

Before you start dosing, get your measurement routine well established. You don't need to measure every day, but once a week would be a good starting point. Stability should be your goal. The two-part and Kalkwasser methods described by Randy work really well and are not that expensive to implement. Your 25% weekly water changes have likely provided stability, but rapid coral growth can cause depletion.
Thanks I'll look into Randy's 2 part kalk dosing. I just have about 15 small frags at this point with only 3 stonys, so I doubt that there is much usage at all. I want to provide the best environment as I can. The plan is to grow these frags out in this 40g and transfer to my main display once the coraline takes hold in it. Im guessing 8 months or so. At that point, this 40g will be more of a coral QT.

OP
OP
Mikeltee

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just picked up a couple mushrooms from a guy that has been on reefbuilders recently with an 800gal system. He designed his house around his system. I am blown away. He uses Kalkwasser at a 6g/gal concentration at night and B-ionic +Mg. He said it's about $20/month for his 800g and 500g was frag tanks so zi imagine his usage is quite high. Of course he buys 5g buckets of concentrated B-ionic though.

OP
OP
Mikeltee

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just got some B-ionic in. I'm trying to get rid of the big clump by soaking the 1g jug in a bucket with a heater at 90 degrees. My question lies with water changes...

Do people add 2-part to their fresh water? I have a 40g and do 10g water changes weekly. Considering that it's 25%, should I add the 2-part to the fresh water? I suppose I could just start doing 5% water changes. I haven't started dosing yet, but my Alk is 6.9 and Ca is 413 a couple of hours after a water change. I only have a few sps in there now. I probably don't need to be dosing at this point but I want to inhibit coraline growth and just set the parameters as best that I can from the start. My though was just to dose 10ml/day for a month and monitor to see what happens.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use Reef Fusion 1 and 2 though a Simplicity pump. I am happy with it so far:

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got some B-ionic in. I'm trying to get rid of the big clump by soaking the 1g jug in a bucket with a heater at 90 degrees. My question lies with water changes...

Do people add 2-part to their fresh water? I have a 40g and do 10g water changes weekly. Considering that it's 25%, should I add the 2-part to the fresh water? I suppose I could just start doing 5% water changes. I haven't started dosing yet, but my Alk is 6.9 and Ca is 413 a couple of hours after a water change. I only have a few sps in there now. I probably don't need to be dosing at this point but I want to inhibit coraline growth and just set the parameters as best that I can from the start. My though was just to dose 10ml/day for a month and monitor to see what happens.
Ok, now you've baffled the hell out of me. Didn't you tout the advantages of algae scrubbers?

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started All For Reef (AFR) yesterday.

I have been dosing ESV B Ionic 2 part by hand for about a month and getting pretty tired of doing it 6 times a day (only doing 6 ml of each part)

I was getting ready to get either a multi-head doser or 2 separate single-head Kamoer dosers. Then I learned about All For Reef on R2R and started doing research. I was sold on the idea of having just one item to dose and with the powder version it will last me forever and it is very cheap compared to most 2 parts.

I am currently dosing (using a single head Kamoer doser) 3ml daily of AFR and will adjust based on testing my Alk. I am going to continue to dose 2 part until I am able to keep my Alk stable with AFR.

Personally I think this is the simplest method and while it might not be the cheapest, it is certainly very economical.

OP
OP
Mikeltee

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok, now you've baffled the hell out of me. Didn't you tout the advantages of algae scrubbers?
Yep running a HOG1x. Just hooked it up yesterday. I understand that some people stop doing water changes and get rid of their skimmers when running them. I still do all of the above. The advantage I am after is keeping the nuisance algae away. If I end up being able to stop water changes and getting rid of the skimmer than that's just a bonus... if that day comes than I am sure I chose the right 2 part. I plan to dose a little reef energy as well as ESV Mg if I need to. I'm also going to attempt to work AFR in there of I can just to try it. This 40g is a trial tank. My 140g will run a geo CarX and it too has a Surf ats. I'm also running Kalk in both systems for pH swings.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep running a HOG1x. Just hooked it up yesterday. I understand that some people stop doing water changes and get rid of their skimmers when running them. I still do all of the above. The advantage I am after is keeping the nuisance algae away. If I end up being able to stop water changes and getting rid of the skimmer than that's just a bonus...
Ok, excellent. I've been doin this for a while and can't help but think you have been duped, like others.

OP
OP
Mikeltee

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just started All For Reef (AFR) yesterday.

I have been dosing ESV B Ionic 2 part by hand for about a month and getting pretty tired of doing it 6 times a day (only doing 6 ml of each part)

I was getting ready to get either a multi-head doser or 2 separate single-head Kamoer dosers. Then I learned about All For Reef on R2R and started doing research. I was sold on the idea of having just one item to dose and with the powder version it will last me forever and it is very cheap compared to most 2 parts.

I am currently dosing (using a single head Kamoer doser) 3ml daily of AFR and will adjust based on testing my Alk. I am going to continue to dose 2 part until I am able to keep my Alk stable with AFR.

Personally I think this is the simplest method and while it might not be the cheapest, it is certainly very economical.
Research tells me AFR is the way once you have your alk and Ca where you want them. How have you not broke down and bought a $60 jaebo 4 head is baffling me. I couldn't imagine dosing by hand 6 times daily. I thought I was nuts feeding my pod cultures 2-3 times a day.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back