New to hobby with fish some questions

benha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to the hobby and have a couple of questions about fish. I have a 40 gallon tank with 4 fish (2 clown fish, 1 cardinal fish, 1 dwarf coral beauty fish). My tank has been running for 7 months and has been doing great with consistent stable parameters. I want to know if it would be okay to double my bioload by adding a school of 5 additional blue chromi fish for a total of 9 fish while keeping my water parameters in check.

Secondly, I was wondering if I should take out my dwarf coral beauty angel fish from my tank as it may be too small and my tank contains a lot of lps and sps coral.

Thanks all, below is a picture of my tank.

IMG_2184.JPG

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to the hobby and have a couple of questions about fish. I have a 40 gallon tank with 4 fish (2 clown fish, 1 cardinal fish, 1 dwarf coral beauty fish). My tank has been running for 7 months and has been doing great with consistent stable parameters. I want to know if it would be okay to double my bioload by adding a school of 5 additional blue chromi fish for a total of 9 fish while keeping my water parameters in check.

Secondly, I was wondering if I should take out my dwarf coral beauty angel fish from my tank as it may be too small and my tank contains a lot of lps and sps coral.

Thanks all, below is a picture of my tank.

IMG_2184.JPG
Welcome to R2R! I'm sorry but that would just be way too many fish, even disregarding bioload. I'm estimating about one more small fish before you risk overcrowding, so choose that fish wisely!

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

I agree with @Oscaror in that I think having that number of fish in a 40gal would be too many.

Maybe something like a Rainford's Goby would help give you some more motion while only contributing very little to the bioload.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
!!! Welcome to R2R !!! I think is 5 more fish will start giving you problems. I have 8 fish on my 40g breeder but already working on a 75g upgrade.

Nick C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
!!! Welcome to R2R !!! I think is 5 more fish will start giving you problems. I have 8 fish on my 40g breeder but already working on a 75g upgrade.
Might as well upgrade to a 120 ;) skip the 75

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might as well upgrade to a 120 ;) skip the 75
Not a bad idea to get a 120, I was thinking about that but need to be on the 48" length because will be a in-wall mount tank and I only have almost 5 ft. on the wall.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back