New to it all!

ShrimpTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
I have been keeping freshwater tanks my whole life but have decided to start reefing! I would appreciate any advice possible! Im going to be taking on a DIY Pico tank because i like to challenge myself and Ive heard small tanks are more of a challenge to maintain.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
I have been keeping freshwater tanks my whole life but have decided to start reefing! I would appreciate any advice possible! Im going to be taking on a DIY Pico tank because i like to challenge myself and Ive heard small tanks are more of a challenge to maintain.
Welcome! I agree with small tanks being harder. honestly though, if you want a real FUN challenge. i would try making a nutrient recycling ecosystem with a larger tank (like 20 gal) and you can keep a large diversity. some goals would be flame scallops, nps gorgonians, and some intresting inverts. IMO the hardest challenge with a small tank is not wanting to upgrade to a 10 million gallon tank with an orca

OP
OP
S

ShrimpTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I agree with small tanks being harder. honestly though, if you want a real FUN challenge. i would try making a nutrient recycling ecosystem with a larger tank (like 20 gal) and you can keep a large diversity. some goals would be flame scallops, nps gorgonians, and some intresting inverts. IMO the hardest challenge with a small tank is not wanting to upgrade to a 10 million gallon tank with an orca
I mean, I would already like to do that! unfortunately, I just dont have the room to add an extra 20 gallon. Lol I have a 20 gallon thats freshwater and housing 2 puffers that i need to transition to a much larger marine system anyway, and ill have to figure out where i can even fit a big tank in my house

OP
OP
S

ShrimpTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome onboard!
Exciting times ahead, I just launched mine last week.

Do you have a rough idea of how small you want your pico to be?

There's plenty of awesome DIY and Pico tanks up there to look up and some great minds to help with - best of luck!
The overall dimensions will be 8"x8"x8" with a 2" wide sump built in! everything on it will be 100% custom made and im planning an 8"x8"6" display for about 2 gallons of total water volume

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%
Back