Glad you're here!
1a-Welcome Aboard.gif

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I mean, I would already like to do that! unfortunately, I just dont have the room to add an extra 20 gallon. Lol I have a 20 gallon thats freshwater and housing 2 puffers that i need to transition to a much larger marine system anyway, and ill have to figure out where i can even fit a big tank in my house
maybe combine both tanks to have one tank you can dedicate your time and efforts to?

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That'd be cool! I would not go lower than 3 gallons, and I would say 5 gallons is much better. Biomedia will probably be a really key element (Bio Gems have so much surface area and will help clean the tank with added bacteria).
A pico with maybe rock flower anemones, or mini carpet anemones and sexy shrimp and or a porcelain crab or two hosting the anemones would be really cool!

But also there are a lot of things that will be great additions to a small tank like that such as a pom pom crab (which hide) or sexy shrimp which are pretty small.
But hope it goes well!
I would just research and make sure you buy suitable supplies. Caribsea Rubble Zone (or another brand type) may work well for small rocks you could develop into a nice rock scape that fits the tank.
Sorry I am giving a lot of info. Do whatever makes you happy though! :)

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
I have been keeping freshwater tanks my whole life but have decided to start reefing! I would appreciate any advice possible! Im going to be taking on a DIY Pico tank because i like to challenge myself and Ive heard small tanks are more of a challenge to maintain.
Just get your elbow salty and you will not regret it.
Welcome to R2R
Welcome to R2R.JPG

JXNATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
I have been keeping freshwater tanks my whole life but have decided to start reefing! I would appreciate any advice possible! Im going to be taking on a DIY Pico tank because i like to challenge myself and Ive heard small tanks are more of a challenge to maintain.

Attachments

• 70433.png
    70433.png
    57 KB · Views: 19

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knock on wood, but I have a 10 gallon water box that has been a piece of cake. A bit more Hair algae than I like, but otherwise smooth running.
It’s a symbiosis tank. Two small clowns who don’t use the bubble tip, a pom-pom crab, pistol shrimp and goby, a porcelain crab and it’s anenome and recently a walking dendro - am forgetting one
find someone with good clean but seasoned rock and go slow, regular water changes

good luck and have fun

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knock on wood, but I have a 10 gallon water box that has been a piece of cake. A bit more Hair algae than I like, but otherwise smooth running.
It’s a symbiosis tank. Two small clowns who don’t use the bubble tip, a pom-pom crab, pistol shrimp and goby, a porcelain crab and it’s anenome and recently a walking dendro - am forgetting one
find someone with good clean but seasoned rock and go slow, regular water changes

good luck and have fun
That sounds so awesome!!! I love sumbyosis! Unfortunately some of it doesn’t work for my setup.
I would get an urchin to help with the algae issue. A tuxedo, or ORA Variegated (pincushion). Both are reef safe and both will chomp that algae down. Also Astrea snails are the only snails I’d recommend (apart from Turbo snails) to clean small hair algae pieces, but they are not nearly as good as urchins.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
Welcome! Glad you joined.

This is a great reference book type article I still refer:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
welcome67.gif

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 30 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back