New to Kalkwasser

Robin316us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I would like to start using Kalkwasser. New to Kalk world. Currently using ATI essentials pro. Should I run both ATI and Kalk? I've and extra dosing pump. Want to know how to setup. Not sure where to start

Thanks

Danny92g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! Kalkwasser should be dripped and I think ur current dosing pump isnt made for that. I started using kalkwasser a couple months ago and still dose ati essentials because kalkwasser is not very potent. My advice would be a kalk stirrer combined with a continous doser and Just lower ur 2part dosing and test kh/ calc. Most People use kalkwasser for the PH benefit.

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I would like to start using Kalkwasser. New to Kalk world. Currently using ATI essentials pro. Should I run both ATI and Kalk? I've and extra dosing pump. Want to know how to setup. Not sure where to start

Thanks
If you are able to dose just kalk you will likely save a lot of money, so if you are able to , I would. You can run a 2 part and kalk at the same time though. Many people use 2 parts when kalk is not able to provide enough calcium and alkalinity to give it the bump. I recommend getting a continuous dosing pump, like the ecotech versa (my favorite doser) ,so that you're able to dose throughout the day, this provides a more steady increase in PH.

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! Kalkwasser should be dripped and I think ur current dosing pump isnt made for that. I started using kalkwasser a couple months ago and still dose ati essentials because kalkwasser is not very potent. My advice would be a kalk stirrer combined with a continous doser and Just lower ur 2part dosing and test kh/ calc. Most People use kalkwasser for the PH benefit.
how much kalk were you dosing? Did you notice a difference when you started dosing kalk? I have tried many other dosing additives, about kalkwasser makes all of my corals look the best by far.

OP
OP
R

Robin316us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are able to dose just kalk you will likely save a lot of money, so if you are able to , I would. You can run a 2 part and kalk at the same time though. Many people use 2 parts when kalk is not able to provide enough calcium and alkalinity to give it the bump. I recommend getting a continuous dosing pump, like the ecotech versa (my favorite doser) ,so that you're able to dose throughout the day, this provides a more steady increase in PH.
Would DOS work?

Danny92g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how much kalk were you dosing? Did you notice a difference when you started dosing kalk? I have tried many other dosing additives, about kalkwasser makes all of my corals look the best by far.
Im dosing 1.25 gallon saturated kalkwasser a day now and thats close to my evap which is 1.5 gallon on my 150gallon system. My sps corals have got alot more PE now and my KH consumption went from 1.5 dkh a day to 2.5 dkh a day. Still using 2 part cus 1.25 gallon kalkwasser only makes up for roughly 1dkh.

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose kalk at night using jebao doser. This is NOT a drip doser, it works great been doing it for almost 3 years now. my ph is stable 8.4-8.5 I set it to dose every half hour for the total amount of evaporation during the day. 150g tank about 1 gallon every night. I use mrs wages pickling lime... very potent. I don't even fully saturate the fresh water.

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im dosing 1.25 gallon saturated kalkwasser a day now and thats close to my evap which is 1.5 gallon on my 150gallon system. My sps corals have got alot more PE now and my KH consumption went from 1.5 dkh a day to 2.5 dkh a day. Still using 2 part cus 1.25 gallon kalkwasser only makes up for roughly 1dkh.
I swear kalk is magic, anytime I switch from another additive to kalk (which I've done multiple times because I get bored of stuff) I instantly notice that everything looks much happier.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose kalk at night using jebao doser. This is NOT a drip doser, it works great been doing it for almost 3 years now. my ph is stable 8.4-8.5 I set it to dose every half hour for the total amount of evaporation during the day. 150g tank about 1 gallon every night. I use mrs wages pickling lime... very potent. I don't even fully saturate the fresh water.
Can you post how much you mix into a volume of RODI water? I can't find the the calcium hydroxide content of it on any of the labels online. This would be a way cheaper and easy to find locally option. Or it looks like it is just pure calcium hydroxide with no additives? Follow BRS kalkwasser mixing instructions?

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post how much you mix into a volume of RODI water? I can't find the the calcium hydroxide content of it on any of the labels online. This would be a way cheaper and easy to find locally option. Or it looks like it is just pure calcium hydroxide with no additives? Follow BRS kalkwasser mixing instructions?

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Thanks -- this looks like a low volume to get a solution which isn't supersaturated. Not bad at all.

1687655979490.png

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much kalkwasser do you guys mix up at a time? Reservoir size? Seems more convenient to do something in a big brute can compared to small buckets every few days. Is that possible or does it lose potency over time?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back