New to LED, Kessil 360x on the way!

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used a quad T5 fixture for a mixed reef since I started reefing about 7 years ago. Always felt limited and like the fixture was to bulky, made working on the tank a PITA. Tank is a 46 bow front so not real wide to accommodate extra bulbs.

Been looking to get into LED for a long time and am finally setting up the tank again after a few year hiatus. Decided to go for it and purchased 2 Kessil 360x. Cant wait to try them out but not sure how to go about placing corals. With the T5 I always just bought the corala home and placed them where I wanted them, no acclimation. When i buy corals now do I do the same or do they need acclimated differently? Most vendors have them in higher lighting already.

Also for a 36x15 footprint, 2 of these lights should be enough for anything I want right? They'll be placed 18 inches apart and I would love to be able to do an anemone or clam at some point.

What intensity should I ramp them up to? Tank is not set up yet so no corals to acclimate. Should I program it to go 100% at peak from the start up?

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those lights should grow anything in that tank.

You won't need the lights at all until your cycle is done.

After that, it all depends on what corals you keep. I wouldn't think you would start out ramping to 100%. Maybe ever.

You need to consult with other Kessil users on what corals they keep at what intensity/color.

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycle shouldnt take long I've had the rock bleached, dried, vinager bath, rodi soaked, and then cycling in saltwater with a pump and heater for 10 months now just no light.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a 36" long tank, I'd recommend bring them closer together than 18" as you'll be casting a lot of light outside the tank. Closer to 12" would work out better for those dimensions. At only 15" in width, you're also going to cast a lot of light out the front and back of the glass which is another bummer. I wouldn't place them any higher than 5" off the water as that will only exacerbate the issue; they're still going to push a ton of light into the room unless you have a canopy. Going forward, they're reportedly making a peripheral that will help focus the light into a smaller footprint which may benefit you considerably (e.g. more light going in the tank).

Your intensity will be determined by coral selection; they can vary greatly by species. Also keep in mind that the Kessils produce max PAR at about 50% color and it drops down quite a bit the further you stray from that setting. To get the most out of the light, that is where I tend to keep them (and I like the look of that setting). An intensity of approx 40% is probably a good starting point.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back