New to marine quarantine

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20gallon quarantine tank that has been cycled and last night introduced a lawnmower blenny and a 6 lin wrasse

Running

sponge filter
Seachem tidal 55 HOB
2, 1 inch pvc elbows
1, 2 inch pvc elbow
1, 2 inch pvc T fitting
Glass lid

Now they seem to be doing fine so far, i put in a single mysis and small piece of frozen algae, the wrasse ate the shrimp after a while. The blennie is only staying in the front bottom corner, the wrasse hosted up in the heater clip on the HOB and made his bubble bed up i. There over night and this morning is slowly drifting his way through all the pvc.

The reason for my post is, i want to know what i should add. I feel bad not using any rocks and not having diatoms or algae yet for the blenny to pick at. Is there something I can add to be a perminant fixture of the QT like a rock with diatoms on it? Or is it better to stick with only PVC no substrate?

I am waiting 2 or 3 days to being dosing copper power and follow the full quarantine guide. Hannah copper checker ready to go. Prazipro on hand for that phase.

Thank you

Also worth noting, these guys got to the lfs just yesterday morning, and they did great through the 2 hour drip aclimation when getting them home.

OP
OP
Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia tracking has been via seachem alert badge, of which climbed up to 1 ppm before I added somewhat established ceramic media to thr HOB which brought the badge back down to yellow after 2 days and has stayed there since including after adding a punch of fish flakes and letting them rot for a couple days.

Also, i added doctor tims first defense 2 hours after the fish made it into the tank.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Ammonia tracking has been via seachem alert badge, of which climbed up to 1 ppm before I added somewhat established ceramic media to thr HOB which brought the badge back down to yellow after 2 days and has stayed there since including after adding a punch of fish flakes and letting them rot for a couple days.

Also, i added doctor tims first defense 2 hours after the fish made it into the tank.
I would keep an eye on that and dose with a bottled bacteria like seed or stability. Wouldn’t hurt to use prime or at least have it on hand.

OP
OP
Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep an eye on that and dose with a bottled bacteria like seed or stability. Wouldn’t hurt to use prime or at least have it on hand.
Got plenty of stuff, will dose. I have seachem seed. Stability, microbacter 7, and amogaurd

Will probably use seed and if anything registers ill add amogaurd

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back