New to mushrooms

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a red mushroom coral today because the woman at the LFS was so convincing that it would flourish in my tank. However after a few hours it became curling upward. Is this normal? Does it need to be moved what? Advice please.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1462932292.910194.jpg

OP
OP
Roboson

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He laid back down again almost as soon as I took that photo.

Lighting is good, he's basically front and center right now.

Flow is pretty high I'd say.

Water parameters are normal.

Yeah was told that they're incredibly hardy. I just want to make sure this guy is happy.

OP
OP
Roboson

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1463072709.804982.jpg

Here is my little guy after a day. I was wondering if those blue spots were normal. I thought they were part of its coloration, but I wanted to check.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks OK to me. Mushrooms come in a wild array of colors and patterns. Give it good light and med flow and it should do fine. Once acclimated, they will spread all over the place.

OP
OP
Roboson

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How fast do mushrooms spread typically?

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How fast do mushrooms spread typically?
Cheap ones normally you can expect a new one every 2 weeks or so once the coral is happy. Bounces and the like... never! My reds are growing great my more high end only split once and a while or disappear completely. That is one of the reasons they have a high price though.

OP
OP
Roboson

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine were super cheap, so that's great news! I like the plain red, but man, some shrooms are absolutely beautiful and intricate.

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine were super cheap, so that's great news! I like the plain red, but man, some shrooms are absolutely beautiful and intricate.
If you mix a few of the plane Jane shrooms on a large rock it can look really nice as they fill in.

I know what you mean about some of them being amazing but those tend to like to up and walk on me never to be seen again. They love the back of my tank best I guess.

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a red mushroom coral today because the woman at the LFS was so convincing that it would flourish in my tank. However after a few hours it became curling upward. Is this normal? Does it need to be moved what? Advice please.

These guys will close and fold and make all kinds of shapes lol its just the type they are. This particular one looks like a morph like the superman discoma. Oh and mushrooms tend to morph colors a lot under different lighting, so it might actually change within the next few months.

OP
OP
Roboson

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pet store I got them from had them under basically no lighting and they were doing fine. They had a couple green ones that looked just like mine (but green obviously). I'm tempted to go and grab one of them.

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pet store I got them from had them under basically no lighting and they were doing fine. They had a couple green ones that looked just like mine (but green obviously). I'm tempted to go and grab one of them.
Yea the reason I say this is because I bought one years ago that's similar to yours and this is what it ended up looking like

4.jpg

OP
OP
Roboson

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! If mine comes out looking like that I'll be amazed.

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! If mine comes out looking like that I'll be amazed.
You would be surprised if you had seen some of the shrooms ive got that have morphed to awesomeness lol . This pink Yuma in the lower left corner was a ugly brown Yuma that I picked up for $10 at a pet store.

image.jpeg

Salt It Away

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Poor photo I realize, but these are in a shadowed corner of the tank. Low light and virtually no flow. If they start flapping in the current mine get miffed. Green one tripled and orange doubled.
IMG_20160512_160058.jpg

OP
OP
Roboson

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's basically where mine is. It already seems bigger than yesterday, but that may just be because of the light difference between the store and my tank.

Catchemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine detached from the rock it came on and went where it was happy. Lower flow and lower light.

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would be surprised if you had seen some of the shrooms ive got that have morphed to awesomeness lol . This pink Yuma in the lower left corner was a ugly brown Yuma that I picked up for $10 at a pet store.

image.jpeg
Teach me your secrets lol

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 24.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 32.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back