OP
OP
Roboson

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is in an area of low flow and high light. It's actually in one of the brightest spots in the tank. It's not making any effort to move or anything like that.

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Teach me your secrets lol
My secret is just because it looks rough in the store doesn't meen it doesn't have potential lol. Not saying everything is gonna be a diamond cause I've got some ugly corals I've had to trade off cause of a hunch lol. I got these Zoas at pet co and they were under pure white light and looked brown but they had some speckles in them so I got the whole feag for 12.99 and after about 5-6 months Shazam lol

image.jpeg

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also remember corals are only gonna look as good as your lighting will allow. Don't cheap out on lighting if it cost to much save longer

OP
OP
Roboson

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I was so content with my cheap-o red mushroom. I went and got some slightly less cheap-o shrooms.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1463191561.285528.jpg

They were a nice teal in the store, but they're sort of a radioactive green under my lights. Maybe I need more blue LEDs, idk.

These guys seem a little different though, they don't stick off like other ones I've seen. Like a mushroom with a mushroom stalk. Is that normal? Also their mouths seem be sticking pretty far out. Is that normal too?

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most shrooms like Ricordea and rhodactis usually will not show that trait like a discoma. If you can get a little better photo I should be able to correctly I'd it for ya

OP
OP
Roboson

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone could tell me what kind it is, I'd love to do more reading on it. Sorry about the poor photo quality.

Furthermore it's gaining clear edges around it, is that good or bad sign? I can't tell if it is expanding or if is unhappy.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1463335291.312212.jpg

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone could tell me what kind it is, I'd love to do more reading on it. Sorry about the poor photo quality.

Furthermore it's gaining clear edges around it, is that good or bad sign? I can't tell if it is expanding or if is unhappy.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1463335291.312212.jpg
This looks like a Yuma it is unfortunately bleached. Not from something you did since you got it this way, I'd leave it in low light and flow for a month or so until it regains its color. After it regains some color a better I'd can be given

OP
OP
Roboson

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I be worried about that clear rim around it? Does that mean its spreading/growing?

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clear part is just where it has bleached and became transparent

OP
OP
Roboson

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved it to a stiller and dim area, but it curled up, so I moved it back into medium light and low flow and it spread out again.

Then as I was feeding some bit of food owlet landed on one of them and it swelled up and ate it. I had no idea corals really did that at this size.

Is there anything else I can do to help it regain color?

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved it to a stiller and dim area, but it curled up, so I moved it back into medium light and low flow and it spread out again.

Then as I was feeding some bit of food owlet landed on one of them and it swelled up and ate it. I had no idea corals really did that at this size.

Is there anything else I can do to help it regain color?
If you can get it to feed that of course helps greatly, Id say if the shroom is liking where you have it just keep the paramaters stable and you should be fine. Remember it does take about a month or so for pigment to start coming back into shrooms, so patience is key.

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that im on a better computer screen im leaning towards Rhodactis mushroom for ID

OP
OP
Roboson

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I googled Rhodactis just now, that seems to be a better fit. Any tips concerning those?

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for right now since its a little under the weather id leave it alone until it starts getting its color back but once it gets back to normal these shrooms can handle a little stronger light and mine seem to like a little more flow. The nice thing about it being a Rhodactis is it could have a lot of color once it heals.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 34.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 51 25.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back