New to nano reefing

nanoreef_swag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I'm new to nano reefing , but have done tons of research. Later this year I plan to start a 15 gallon nano reef.
Supplies for tank are
15 gallon kit
LED
Quit corner filter
50 watt. Submersible heater
10 lbs live sand
20 lbs of live rock
Here are my livestock plans
Livestock
1 carpenters flasher wrasse
1 firefish
1 lawnmower blenny
1Occelaris or percula or snowflake clown
Then maybe one other blue 2-3 inch fish
Corals
1 pompom pulsing xenia
2 or 3 zoathid colnies
1 mushroom
1 lemon tree coral
Maybe later on a hammer or torch or frog spawn
Invertes/Clean Up crew
1 coral banded shrimp
1 porcelain crab
And some snails
Please give me your advice and yes a wrasse because in my nano reefing handbook it says all flasher wrasse can go in a wet gallon all my gosh will stay off about 1-2 inches when I first get them. Thanks so much! All advice is welcome.

Adkins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be sure to add your fish slowly. As in spread out over time. Stay up on water changes and you should be go to go. Your coral are going to like the heavily stocked tank as long as you stay up on maintenance.

OP
OP
N

nanoreef_swag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be sure to add your fish slowly. As in spread out over time. Stay up on water changes and you should be go to go. Your coral are going to like the heavily stocked tank as long as you stay up on maintenance.

Ok thanks!

mrcoffee2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you plan to cram 6-7 fish (some of which require a 40g+ tank) into a 15gallon tank that will also have water displacement by coral and live rock? Without a skimmer as well!? 0.o

Seems like a bad idea.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nanoreef_swag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you plan to cram 6-7 fish (some of which require a 40g+ tank) into a 15gallon tank that will also have water displacement by coral and live rock? Without a skimmer as well!? 0.o

Seems like a bad idea.

5 fish this is what I want not nessarily what I am getting I'll upgrade the tank when the fish get to bigger for the tank

mrcoffee2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say no on the wrasse and clown. Buying and stocking fish with the intent to purchase larger in the future if they get too big is really unfair to the fish. Plan your tank to the needs of your occupants. For what you want to do I'd buy a 40+ and even that is on the small side

H2Ohio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tons of research is the key to success in this hobby. You're ahead of more than most by asking for advice before making a purchase. I'd suggest more research on the science of stocking limitations before you buy a 15g if those are the fish you want. It's not just about their size but do they all have their own places to hide, clowns can be very territorial and will bully other fish. There is a limit to dissolved oxygen you can maintain in smaller tanks and even juvenile fish without enough will have deformed growth. Read up on the growth limiting hormones fish produce to understand why "I'll move them to a bigger tank when they get bigger" just doesn't work.

Really good info on all of that here How to Stock an Aquarium

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 188 71.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back