New to Nano Systems With a Few Questions

NickNiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!!! I am starting a nano system in a 12-gallon JBJ NanoCube sometime this week and I have a few questions. I am not new to the hobby, as I am coming from a RSM250.

First off, would it be a good idea to have a DSB in a tank this small? I want some way to naturally treat nitrates in addition to weekly water changes. I understand that DSBs can cause some problems, but as long as it's not sifted too thoroughly, it should be fine, right? If anything, I could get a small serpent star or at least a few Nassarius snails to keep the top of the DSB sifted. I wouldn't want to make it too deep though, as I don't have too much vertical height in the tank.

Secondly, I am getting this tank pre-cycled, with sand, water, rock, and a small clown and angelfish (each about .5 inches long). One of the things I really want to do is to switch out the existing sand for black live sand. If I do this, will the tank need another cycle? Or will the livestock be fine after the new sand is added? The tank has been set up for 6 months, so I'm not too worried about detritus in the rocks or sand. The owner also did water changes 2x per week.

Also, as part of the setup, I received a protein skimmer for the tank. Is it even worth it to run this? Or should I stick to carbon, Purigen, filter floss, and water changes?

Thank you for reading! I apologize for the long thread, but I would really appreciate any advice!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back