New to Nems question

Rp8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good day everyone,

New to Nems, purchased one and placed in an established tank. Seems to be acclimating nicely. My question is about placement. I placed half way up my tank on a rock, in a depression where the body would fit nicely. I see obvious movement from it, just wondering if it is able to get out and move if it wants to. I have had it a week and hear so much about how mobile they are. But this guy hasn’t moved. Also, have a pencil urchin, will they place nice together?
F0963179-664E-45A2-987E-254135E8E437.jpeg

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the nem is able to move around as it sees fit. If it hasn't yet, you may have chosen a spot for it that it likes as well. That doesn't mean it Won't move, just that it hasn't yet.

Urchin will be no problem with the nem.

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Good day everyone,

New to Nems, purchased one and placed in an established tank. Seems to be acclimating nicely. My question is about placement. I placed half way up my tank on a rock, in a depression where the body would fit nicely. I see obvious movement from it, just wondering if it is able to get out and move if it wants to. I have had it a week and hear so much about how mobile they are. But this guy hasn’t moved. Also, have a pencil urchin, will they place nice together?
Most nems have a habit of moving around to where they like. It's a nice benefit, but when your tank is full of coral it drives most reefers mad :face-with-tears-of-joy: it'll most likely move to where it's happy, if not it's happy there and it just needs some time to get used to the tank

Pencil urchin shouldn't be a problem with it

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to all of the above. Almost nothing beside and anemone consuming fish will bother a BTA. The BTA will do what it wants when it wants to. Any BTA owner knows this is the "fun" part. When it comes to nems, "when it doubt, leave it be" is the gold standard.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider purchasing anemone guards for your powerheads. Fluctuations in tank conditions could cause it to move, and it'll end up in a powerhead more often than we'd like.

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
You can flip it over. A surefire way to check a condition is gently lift it out of the water and smell it, if it has a rotten smell it's most likely a goner.

It should be fine if it's firm/sturdy though. As long as there isn't any melting or a hole going through it.

Jo P White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s probably trying to move to a new spot it likes. I found my CSB like that one morning, flipped it over and put it back in a nook. Can home from work to find it on the other side of the tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back