New to palytoxin

andy_12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!! I’m new to saltwater and recently added a zoanthid I have a few questions is the toxin released in the tank? And if is the toxin evaporated while being in the tank thank you

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very few cases of palytoxin poisoning. If you're worried, wear gloves and eye protection. I handle mine barehanded putting them into the tank, but I don't do any fragging. They're not going to poison you while in the tank.

OP
OP
andy_12

andy_12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very few cases of palytoxin poisoning. If you're worried, wear gloves and eye protection. I handle mine barehanded putting them into the tank, but I don't do any fragging. They're not going to poison you while in the tank.
Thank you I did wear gloves and eye protection I was worried of anything happening thanks!!

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I did wear gloves and eye protection I was worried of anything happening thanks!!
almost always, the cause of hospitalization from palytoxin is from someone boiling live rock with zoas/palys on it that they weren't aware was there, or scrubbing the same trying to clean it.

OP
OP
andy_12

andy_12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
almost always, the cause of hospitalization from palytoxin is from someone boiling live rock with zoas/palys on it that they weren't aware was there, or scrubbing the same trying to clean it.
I’m not sure but when I was moving the Zoa I forgot to wear gloves but I touched the live rock it came with and then I used hot water on my hands could that lead to poisoning later on I got this tingling in my tongue and some sort of rash on my arm

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
andy_12

andy_12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
andy_12

andy_12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put some chemipure BLUE in your filter to absorb any Palytoxins they release as a precaution for your other corals if you have.
Ok thank you will do I currently have a hammer and a Kenya tree

Evil1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3788.jpeg

RockBox13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!! I’m new to saltwater and recently added a zoanthid I have a few questions is the toxin released in the tank? And if is the toxin evaporated while being in the tank thank you
Activated carbon can neutralize/absorb it and many other contaminants and organic waste. Fresh carbon is the first step in a lot of situations and you should try to always have some on hand. If you see a dead snail or a fish has been dead and unseen for a day or something, get some fresh carbon there right away. If you’re worried about something like air freshener being sprayed over your tank or maybe you forgot you had oil or lotion on you hands, fresh carbon if it’s not already in there. If you have to treat your tank with something like Chemi Clean or Flatworm Exit, you’ll need to run a fresh bag: Certain things like an antibacterial treatment for dipping fish and coral when necessary you should have on hand. No need to overwhelm you now though. Palytoxin won’t build up in your system and become toxic under any circumstances that I have seen.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fragged some zoas/palys with a gryphon saw without protection one time and the next day had flu symptoms. Coincidence maybe, but I’m willing to bet it was palytoxin due to cut on my hands. They mainly release the toxin due to extreme stress such as the cutting, just moving them into the tank I think you’re safe!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy,
I literally just asked about this for zoas on my build thread. Would you be willing to review and comment as I don’t want to hijack OP’s post.

Thank you, Jennifer

Post in thread 'My Grateful Journeys Tank'
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-grateful-journeys-tank.1013672/post-12195974

I'll copy what I wrote there since I don't want people to misunderstand what I mean by evaporate.

Large toxins themselves cannot enter the gas phase, like from a drying puddle.

But water droplets that get launched into the air can contain palytoxin and any other toxin, and one might breathe those in, get them in your eyes, etc.

An air bubble rising to the surface and popping can release small droplets to the air.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are things in reef tanks way worse then palytoxin. Just bacteria in a cut can at the minimum send you to the hospital. Not all zoas and palys have this toxin or at least not enough to affect you unless you do something dumb like eat it, smoke it, rub it directly in your eyes. Is there cause for concern? Yes of coarse there is be cautious and wear protective gear if you are worried. I have fragged countless zoas and palys including P. Grandis supposedly one of the worst. I have never had issues with other corals in the same tank and I rarely use any type of carbon.

OP
OP
andy_12

andy_12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Activated carbon can neutralize/absorb it and many other contaminants and organic waste. Fresh carbon is the first step in a lot of situations and you should try to always have some on hand. If you see a dead snail or a fish has been dead and unseen for a day or something, get some fresh carbon there right away. If you’re worried about something like air freshener being sprayed over your tank or maybe you forgot you had oil or lotion on you hands, fresh carbon if it’s not already in there. If you have to treat your tank with something like Chemi Clean or Flatworm Exit, you’ll need to run a fresh bag: Certain things like an antibacterial treatment for dipping fish and coral when necessary you should have on hand. No need to overwhelm you now though. Palytoxin won’t build up in your system and become toxic under any circumstances that I have seen.
Thank you I really appreciate the help I’ll be sure to buy some at my lfs!!

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll copy what I wrote there since I don't want people to misunderstand what I mean by evaporate.

Large toxins themselves cannot enter the gas phase, like from a drying puddle.

But water droplets that get launched into the air can contain palytoxin and any other toxin, and one might breathe those in, get them in your eyes, etc.

An air bubble rising to the surface and popping can release small droplets to the air.
Thanks Randy! Appreciate explaining the differences.

And thanks for addressing in my build thread so I can easily review.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back