New to palytoxin

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very few cases of palytoxin poisoning. If you're worried, wear gloves and eye protection. I handle mine barehanded putting them into the tank, but I don't do any fragging. They're not going to poison you while in the tank.
I would argue that it happens far more often than thought or reported. That said, several verified dead pets and hospital visits are enough to not take the warnings or precautions lightly.

It have palythoa - and they (without question) make me sick even with slight contact. I still only have them because I can't get rid of all of them and every time I try, I breath enough to make me uncomfortable.

707Nick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll copy what I wrote there since I don't want people to misunderstand what I mean by evaporate.

Large toxins themselves cannot enter the gas phase, like from a drying puddle.

But water droplets that get launched into the air can contain palytoxin and any other toxin, and one might breathe those in, get them in your eyes, etc.

An air bubble rising to the surface and popping can release small droplets to the air.
A good friend of mine is an aquarium maid tech. He was cleaning out a sump pulled a rock out with Paly’s on it. It squirted him in the face with no protection. Later that afternoon he was at the LFS and passed out and hit his head. He was diagnosed with palyyhoa toxin poisoning and now wears a pacemaker to this day.

It’s kinda like choosing to wearing a helmet now or wearing it later without the choice. Use safety equipment don’t be lazy we have it for a reason.

Jim Gomoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seen this in a Palytoxin post.
Let you doctor know you keep a reef tank so by chance if you get Palytoxin poisoning, an infection in a cut or stung by some fish they can diagnose you faster vs allot of tests.

Know this first hand. While fragging some zoas/palys I rubbed the bridge of my nose, not thinking. Must of had a zit or some kind of opening. Well ended up with a nasty infected spot that after doctors couldn't tell what it was or why from the culture tests. Now I know better and where my fragging PPAs and its noted in my medical files.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back