New to posting / old to reading

Abby1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I’ve been reading this forum for years and am thankful for all of the advice that I’ve received. I’ve never really been good at posting on forums, but definitely do enjoy reading them. I actually attempted to post this earlier today and it ended up in the totally wrong place.

My husband started our tank almost 17 years ago before we began dating. It’s been through 2 moves, lots of upgrades, many sick fish, lots of algae overgrowth, escaped fish, many filter sock changes, lots of water changes, many water tests, multiple mysteriously disappeared fish, and tons of equipment repair. We spent countless hours cleaning, repairing, feeding, upgrading and learning throughout the years.

Owning a reef tank was definitely not without heart ache. It seemed as though every tragedy would happen while my husband was away on business and he’d give me step by step instructions over the phone on how to set up a hospital tank or do a water change. I’d inevitably do something wrong each time that would lead to massive anxiety and often flooding. I nursed some fish back to health and sadly killed others. I was most devastated this summer after a leak caused our salinity to drop since the autofill kept replenishing freshwater. My most beloved clownfish got sick right before we went on vacation. We got the leak and parameters fixed the best we could and hoped for the best. Unfortunately, our neighbor had to relay the sad news. Is it creepy that we still have him in our freezer? I keep thinking that one day I’ll take him to a taxidermist and have the skeleton beetle cleaned. Anyone ever do this?

We recently made the heart-breaking decision to sell our tank. We’re in the process of a remodel and had originally planned on moving its location and upgrading, but after much deliberation have decided to part ways with the hobby. With two small children, we just don’t give it the time it deserves and it’s become more of a chore than it’s ever been. As we part ways, I’d like to thank the members of the forum for all of the helpful advice that I’ve read through the years.

With the quarantine, I have a little extra time on my hands when my kids are napping and I’m not working from home and I’ve been trying to get everything in line to sell. I never realized until today how much my bubble tip anemones were worth! I have stuff posted locally and am working myself up to enough posts to list the items here.

We’ve been dealing with aiptasia for a while after trading coral rocks with a local store and not realizing they were hiding in there. We spent tons of money on berghia nudibranchs and are not completely sure if they are doing the job since we rarely see them. Is it best to sell the live rock as is or somehow boil it and cure it?

Thank you all for your time and we wish you all the best with the hobby.

05BFA340-82A7-405E-991F-FE69DE123879.jpeg CBD0E942-65E3-41FA-94DC-B9ED59611CAF.jpeg 77E499F5-7384-4101-B6D6-C4166BBA895D.jpeg 0A33E429-90D2-45EB-BA0B-0B558A0DAF04.jpeg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Boiling live rock is a gamble. I would look into natural predators such as peppermint shrimp or berghia nudibranch
giphy (4).gif

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Thank you for the introduction and good luck with the next phase of the adventure!

Clownfish.gif

OP
OP
A

Abby1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome? Or should we be saying goodbye! I think you’ll be back...the addiction is hard to kick!
Thanks...I know! I was just looking in rock with a flashlight with tears in my eyes. It’s going to be tough. My house will be so quiet (when my kids are sleeping) without the sound of water, fans and pumps.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and goodbye. I have to say, that is the most heartfelt and touching intro I've ever read. I wish you all the best, and when the time comes to return to the reef life, we'll be here to welcome you back. God bless.

OP
OP
A

Abby1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and goodbye. I have to say, that is the most heartfelt and touching intro I've ever read. I wish you all the best, and when the time comes to return to the reef life, we'll be here to welcome you back. God bless.
Aw, thanks so much! Hard to say goodbye to something that my husband and I used to be so passionate about and sad to think that my kids will grow up without it. Ironically, my dad talks fondly of his old tank that I have vague memories of before he sold it.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi ,1st i'd like to say welcome ,do not boil rock,sell as is ,sell complete system as whole ,don't bother with 100 people and still have stuff left.clownfish in freezer ,love it,take out dry in sun ,watch for birds etc ,dip in polyurathane once dry ,3x will last forever..where are you located if interested in buying? be safe good luck, these were dipped in 1991
WP_20200210_18_50_46_Pro.jpg

OP
OP
A

Abby1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi ,1st i'd like to say welcome ,do not boil rock,sell as is ,sell complete system as whole ,don't bother with 100 people and still have stuff left.clownfish in freezer ,love it,take out dry in sun ,watch for birds etc ,dip in polyurathane once dry ,3x will last forever..where are you located if interested in buying? be safe good luck, these were dipped in 1991
WP_20200210_18_50_46_Pro.jpg

Awesome, thanks for the advice! No smell after 3 dips? How long in the sun? I’m in Pennsylvania.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome, thanks for the advice! No smell after 3 dips? How long in the sun? I’m in Pennsylvania.
just long enough to dry and flip dry,then poly rt away let complete dry between coats,come back show us your clown when finished ...

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello ! And goodbye !

Sometimes life pulls us in new directions but the beauty of this hobby is there’s always time in the future to get back into it.

I would try to sell as a complete system and definitely just give people the heads up that it has aptasia in it - the new owner can deal with it in their own way.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 120 43.2%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 133 47.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 12 4.3%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 2.9%
Back