welcome 1.jpg

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I’ve been reading this forum for years and am thankful for all of the advice that I’ve received. I’ve never really been good at posting on forums, but definitely do enjoy reading them. I actually attempted to post this earlier today and it ended up in the totally wrong place.

My husband started our tank almost 17 years ago before we began dating. It’s been through 2 moves, lots of upgrades, many sick fish, lots of algae overgrowth, escaped fish, many filter sock changes, lots of water changes, many water tests, multiple mysteriously disappeared fish, and tons of equipment repair. We spent countless hours cleaning, repairing, feeding, upgrading and learning throughout the years.

Owning a reef tank was definitely not without heart ache. It seemed as though every tragedy would happen while my husband was away on business and he’d give me step by step instructions over the phone on how to set up a hospital tank or do a water change. I’d inevitably do something wrong each time that would lead to massive anxiety and often flooding. I nursed some fish back to health and sadly killed others. I was most devastated this summer after a leak caused our salinity to drop since the autofill kept replenishing freshwater. My most beloved clownfish got sick right before we went on vacation. We got the leak and parameters fixed the best we could and hoped for the best. Unfortunately, our neighbor had to relay the sad news. Is it creepy that we still have him in our freezer? I keep thinking that one day I’ll take him to a taxidermist and have the skeleton beetle cleaned. Anyone ever do this?

We recently made the heart-breaking decision to sell our tank. We’re in the process of a remodel and had originally planned on moving its location and upgrading, but after much deliberation have decided to part ways with the hobby. With two small children, we just don’t give it the time it deserves and it’s become more of a chore than it’s ever been. As we part ways, I’d like to thank the members of the forum for all of the helpful advice that I’ve read through the years.

With the quarantine, I have a little extra time on my hands when my kids are napping and I’m not working from home and I’ve been trying to get everything in line to sell. I never realized until today how much my bubble tip anemones were worth! I have stuff posted locally and am working myself up to enough posts to list the items here.

We’ve been dealing with aiptasia for a while after trading coral rocks with a local store and not realizing they were hiding in there. We spent tons of money on berghia nudibranchs and are not completely sure if they are doing the job since we rarely see them. Is it best to sell the live rock as is or somehow boil it and cure it?

Thank you all for your time and we wish you all the best with the hobby.

05BFA340-82A7-405E-991F-FE69DE123879.jpeg CBD0E942-65E3-41FA-94DC-B9ED59611CAF.jpeg 77E499F5-7384-4101-B6D6-C4166BBA895D.jpeg 0A33E429-90D2-45EB-BA0B-0B558A0DAF04.jpeg
Lovely tank. What a shame your two kids won’t grow up seeing it. But after 17 years I’m sure you thought long and hard before stopping the hobby.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the post and sharing your journey, which it has to be hard to bring to an end. Best of luck and we'll see you back here shortly once things settle down.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a crazy setup. You could probably sell your house to a serious enthusiast for above market value ;)

I'd personally not boil the rocks or do anything crazy, so long as you're transparent with potential buyers, can't see aptasia as a deal-breaker.

619Wac1Kf0L._AC_SX450_.jpg

Jaebster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noooo!!! Dont say goodbye! <sad> now back to reality...

As for the rocks, sell it as is and have the new owner bleach/acid/boil/etc them. Dont know what your gonna do with the frozen guy... but if you're gonna part with him, give it to the person you sell the rocks to. They can seed their new tank with it.... and you'll know that he will be living forever as the bacteria he created.

Btw, where are you located. May be interest in getting those rocks from you!

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for enjoying our forum. Well see you back to the salty side soon! ;)

Back