New to QT and Brook

asmckibbin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brook got to my first clown. I used a fish in cycle (I now regret I know how stressed that can make fish) and all was well and cycle was even complete. Thats when I noticed labored breathing and mucus plus some spots and almost bruises. Took him out and put him in qt tank and dosed him with formethorine (I think thats the name I remember) but sadly, he passed on. How long do I need to wait to add more fish/ I have corals and inverts in the tank still. Do I need to remove these? And qt them? By removing the fish, can I leave them as I understand they are fish only parasites that cause Brooklynella. Any help is welcomed!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brook got to my first clown. I used a fish in cycle (I now regret I know how stressed that can make fish) and all was well and cycle was even complete. Thats when I noticed labored breathing and mucus plus some spots and almost bruises. Took him out and put him in qt tank and dosed him with formethorine (I think thats the name I remember) but sadly, he passed on. How long do I need to wait to add more fish/ I have corals and inverts in the tank still. Do I need to remove these? And qt them? By removing the fish, can I leave them as I understand they are fish only parasites that cause Brooklynella. Any help is welcomed!

You won't need to remove any corals or invertebrates, just don't have any fish in the tank. then, if you leave the tank fishless for 60 days, you'll be fine. That said, the very next fish you buy could bring a disease right back in. If you can buy pre quarantined fish, or tank raised fish that have not been mixed in with wild caught fish, that will help. You can also quarantine the fish yourself, but that requires a second tank.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back