New to Quarantining fish

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. keep us posted. Probably better to start making more water for another change just in case. You really want that ammonia at 0 all the time, so better to be prepared. :)

OP
OP
R

Rich Kapoor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a quick update... I have been keeping up with water changes (10 gallon) as best I can.... Ammonia is now lingering around 0.25 and 0.5 (more closer to 0.25)....I am still trying my best to suck out all the fish poop with a turkey baster...keeping the tank as clean as I can...

I still have not started the cupramine dosing yet... but the fish are looking good.. eating well.. swimming well... (not breathing heavy or swimming into the air bubbles or twitching or anything).

Thank you all for the help :)

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know if it was mentioned in here already, but using airline tubing to suck out the waste / leftover food works well without removing a ton of water

OP
OP
R

Rich Kapoor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update...

The little juvenile orange shoulder tang died this last weekend. I fed the tank Friday night... and didn't see it come out of its hiding... It was laying on its side underneath the pvc fixture.. its usual hiding place.....Usually it never missed a feeding time...I kept observing it..and it just stayed there... so i figured it'll be out in the morning. In the morning it remained there...with no movements... so I checked...and it was dead.

NOTE: No cupramine or any medication had started yet. Ammonia was still showing 0.25 to 0.5. I didn't check for nitrite.

I removed the dead fish.. and put in a dark bucket with fresh tap water... and let it sit. Nothing fell off the fish. The fish body had no white spots...no visual indications of ich. The skin over the gills did look whitish... but I dunno if that turned white after it died? or disease?

Immediately did a 10 gallon water change..and dosed 35 drops of Seachem Cupramine into the tank (20 gallon tall).

The current inhabitants (Sailfin tang and Yellow tang) seem to be doing alright. They are eating well (in fact veraciously)..and I am trying to do my best to remove fish poop.

My guess.. that juvenile died of ammonia? I'm going to do another water change when I get home tonight.

Side question about food... during QT period...
Flake food (and New Era algae rings): Both fish love em
Pellet food: Sailfin will eat it all... Yellow tang only if its hungry...
Frozen food: Sailfin kinda nibbles.. but barely.... Yellow will eat it mostly (my dead juvi loved frozen food).

Should I feed a mix of foods (1 kind each day) or the food they love? My main tank gets a mix of food (1 kind each day)...and thats the schedule I wanna maintain.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME; any ammonia present can kill a fish. It damages their internal organs.

Some are more tolerant than others, or with some it just takes longer to kill them.

Back