OP
B

BWSR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't even think my light is enough for sps, but then again I think it depends on the coral. I'm going to get a radion xr30 pro for my tank sometime soon (even though I should get a mh/t5 fixture), but for now I have the maxspect razor 120 w. I personally don't think one AI prime is good enough, maybe add a second or third one. I think the AI prime is only supposed to cover 18 x 18 or something like that.

As far as the skimmer goes maybe I didnt wait long enough with mine. I got the same size one as you by the way. From what I rember the skimmer itself wasn't loud but when you put it in the chamber it's supposed to be in, it blocks the water flow which then makes a dripping/rushing water noise. The cadlights I got is pretty good, it had some micro bubbles at first but then stopped. The only annoying thing about the cadlights one is that it is very sensitive to adjustment. I think its a better skimmer overall and I belive it's overrated for this tank size. Maybe you'll have better luck with yours, but keep me updated. Ps AI will probably be coming out with that same wifi thing for all their lights. I would just leave yours for a couple of months while the tank settles.

The IM 40 is only 24x20x19, and the back 4 inches are the overflow, so it's really only a 24x16. The prime should output a center beam of 500 PAR at 12" deep, more if the coral is higher. From what I've read most SPS require 800-1000, so with two of them, and positioning the coral at 6-8" below the top, they should be fed well, no?

I'm cautious of buying anything from CADLights because of their poor support quality. I spent a few hours last night researching the ghost and the IM 40, and in early models of the ghost, they used a poor quality impeller, which would become loose and had 90-180 degrees of twist, causing the noise issues. IM responded to their customers and sent replacement parts. Additionally, in the early models there was an issue with an o-ring, which has since been deprecated and replaced with a newer model. I'm heeding your advice thought, so I'll dry fit it before I decide to keep it. I have also seen people hide a Tunze 9004 in one of the overflow filter columns, and that has solid reviews. My other concern with the CADLights skimmer is that it will stick up 3-4 inches above the tank line, and this tank is the centerpiece of my house as you walk in; it needs to be super clean, super quiet.

Gk5321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The IM 40 is only 24x20x19, and the back 4 inches are the overflow, so it's really only a 24x16. The prime should output a center beam of 500 PAR at 12" deep, more if the coral is higher. From what I've read most SPS require 800-1000, so with two of them, and positioning the coral at 6-8" below the top, they should be fed well, no?

I'm cautious of buying anything from CADLights because of their poor support quality. I spent a few hours last night researching the ghost and the IM 40, and in early models of the ghost, they used a poor quality impeller, which would become loose and had 90-180 degrees of twist, causing the noise issues. IM responded to their customers and sent replacement parts. Additionally, in the early models there was an issue with an o-ring, which has since been deprecated and replaced with a newer model. I'm heeding your advice thought, so I'll dry fit it before I decide to keep it. I have also seen people hide a Tunze 9004 in one of the overflow filter columns, and that has solid reviews. My other concern with the CADLights skimmer is that it will stick up 3-4 inches above the tank line, and this tank is the centerpiece of my house as you walk in; it needs to be super clean, super quiet.

I think that another AI prime would be fine, I think that's around the same power my maxspect is putting out. I know what you mean about the tank being a center piece though. I only suggested the cadlights skimmer because I know it fits well and it's overpowered for the tank, but I'm doing mainly sps. I've always wanted to see if it was possible to maintain an sps concentrated tank in an all in one. When I first bought the tank I got the tunze 9004 which j quickly learned didn't fit and I didn't want to get rid of one of my filters for it so I then bought innovatives skimmer. I wasn't happy with it though, but like you said, maybe it's better now. As far as the light goes, what are you trying to keep? If you're doing sps, for now I would concentrate on water quality rather than par levels. Par levels are important, but water quality is probably the most important thing to monitor. I would leave the tank with your one light and if you have any sps of other corals try to comet rate them directly under the light. I think your tank should be fine though. Let me know how everything turns out. Also here is a picture of my tank, it isn't the prettiest thing in the world and the skimmer is definelty an eye sore, but everything is growing which I'm happy enough with.
image.jpg

OP
OP
B

BWSR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that another AI prime would be fine, I think that's around the same power my maxspect is putting out. I know what you mean about the tank being a center piece though. I only suggested the cadlights skimmer because I know it fits well and it's overpowered for the tank, but I'm doing mainly sps. I've always wanted to see if it was possible to maintain an sps concentrated tank in an all in one. When I first bought the tank I got the tunze 9004 which j quickly learned didn't fit and I didn't want to get rid of one of my filters for it so I then bought innovatives skimmer. I wasn't happy with it though, but like you said, maybe it's better now. As far as the light goes, what are you trying to keep? If you're doing sps, for now I would concentrate on water quality rather than par levels. Par levels are important, but water quality is probably the most important thing to monitor. I would leave the tank with your one light and if you have any sps of other corals try to comet rate them directly under the light. I think your tank should be fine though. Let me know how everything turns out. Also here is a picture of my tank, it isn't the prettiest thing in the world and the skimmer is definelty an eye sore, but everything is growing which I'm happy enough with.
image.jpg

Nice. Is that the OEM stand? I ordered the IM stand, but am thinking about taking tomorrow off and building a sturdier, and taller one. I am SO freaking ready to start cycling this thing! ARRGH

OP
OP
B

BWSR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Im also in Cary!

Awesome! I like your custom tank, I'm planning on taking tomorrow off to build one for my IM 40 that also comes in tomorrow :) Any things to watch out for?

Gk5321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea it's the normal stand, building your own might be nice. I like the height of theirs though, it can easily look at everything from above which I enjoy.

Gopi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I like your custom tank, I'm planning on taking tomorrow off to build one for my IM 40 that also comes in tomorrow :) Any things to watch out for?

Having never actually built anything before it took me quite awhile. I actually still haven't gotten around to building the door for my 90... Make sure you've got a good plan and take your time. :)

OP
OP
B

BWSR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the only picture I could find of my 30G cube. This was obviously during the planning stages, but everything came to fruition, even the overflow was custom with 45 degree walls.

14420tank_plans-med.jpg

Gk5321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I looked more at the AI prime, I think that light looks pretty nice. I think you should be fine with just one.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back