New to r2r

nanna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey there! Brand new this group, I've had freshwater fish for a while and thought I would dabble into saltwater. Got a litte and put a few live rocks in with some aragonite. I was also told to put a raw shrimp in there to help start the cycling. How often and what levels am I checking? I have a testing kit with ammonia, pH, nitrite, and nitrate, is there a range I'm looking for specific to certain fish, as far as the "normal" levels?
Does it matter that I created a sandstorm? :( How long til this goes away haha

Thanks! Excited to see how this goes

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey there! Brand new this group, I've had freshwater fish for a while and thought I would dabble into saltwater. Got a litte and put a few live rocks in with some aragonite. I was also told to put a raw shrimp in there to help start the cycling. How often and what levels am I checking? I have a testing kit with ammonia, pH, nitrite, and nitrate, is there a range I'm looking for specific to certain fish, as far as the "normal" levels?
Does it matter that I created a sandstorm? :( How long til this goes away haha

Thanks! Excited to see how this goes
Welcome to R2R!
We have ton of very friendly members that will answer all the questions in a friendly professional ways.
I would use liquid ammonia you can find in the link below for fishless cycle, it's easier and no messy foul smelling with a dead prawn shrimp
https://www.amazon.com/DrTims-Aquatics-Ammonium-chloride-bottle/dp/B006MP4QG6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1509894501&sr=8-1&keywords=dr+tim's+ammonium+chloride&dpID=414pJ%2BMh07L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
You can find this product in some LFS so be sure ask your LFS.
If you use liquid ammonia then dose and test your tank until ammonia reached 2~4 ppm then test your water after a week and see if ammo level drop. If it drop then dose your tank back up to 2~4 ppm until Nitrite show up, repeat until your tank consume all 2~4 ppm ammonia/nitrite in 24 hours then you good to go and do a 90% water change before adding fish.
Note:
This process could take up 8 weeks to complete if you just let your tank cycle in nature way.

Last edited:

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, I would say you have some pretty good advice from @Yuki Rihwa and I would stress patients with reefing;) it takes time;)

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

Sand clouds dissipate in a few hours to a few days, depending on what equipment you have (IE skimmer), type of sand, etc.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

welcom.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back