New to R2R

MaxSc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I'm new here on r2r. I've been in the fish keeping hobby for a few years now. Most of that time was spent caring for planted freshwater aquariums however, the last couple years I've become more interested in saltwater aquariums. I currently have a 20 gallon reef aquarium with one ocellaris clownfish which I've been able to keep alive for the past 2 years but I've had little success at growing my corals out. I'm able to keep all the soft corals I've gotten alive and some lps corals aswell. I'm not sure what the issue is in my reef tank as all the corals I've had either stay the same size or die off overtime. I'm looking forward to use this site to gain more knowledge about the reefing hobby.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
welcome33.gif

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I'm new here on r2r. I've been in the fish keeping hobby for a few years now. Most of that time was spent caring for planted freshwater aquariums however, the last couple years I've become more interested in saltwater aquariums. I currently have a 20 gallon reef aquarium with one ocellaris clownfish which I've been able to keep alive for the past 2 years but I've had little success at growing my corals out. I'm able to keep all the soft corals I've gotten alive and some lps corals aswell. I'm not sure what the issue is in my reef tank as all the corals I've had either stay the same size or die off overtime. I'm looking forward to use this site to gain more knowledge about the reefing hobby.
Welcome MaxSc,
Stable params, let us know how we can help.

OP
OP
MaxSc

MaxSc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome MaxSc,
Stable params, let us know how we can help.
I appreciate the welcomes from everyone! I agree it’s probably my water perimeters that are off. I used to test my water frequently when I first started my saltwater tank with salifert test kits but I ended up not using them anymore. What perimeters do you think I should test and how often do you test your water?

OP
OP
MaxSc

MaxSc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I thought I should mention that I have an empty 50 gallon Aqueon tank in my garage. I’ve been thinking about setting up a new system in it but I’m not sure if I should “master” my 20 gallon before setting it up

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the welcomes from everyone! I agree it’s probably my water perimeters that are off. I used to test my water frequently when I first started my saltwater tank with salifert test kits but I ended up not using them anymore. What perimeters do you think I should test and how often do you test your water?
Tanks been running a few years, triton method. Alk and po4 test weekly, calcium monthly. Icp every 3 or 4 months.
What should you test? Like you said, i tested most weekly for a while until things flattened out.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome to r2r
You have come to the right place to help keeping corals alive . When you get settled , create a post with pictures of your reef preferably with white lights . Water parameters along with listing maintenance schedules

OP
OP
MaxSc

MaxSc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome to r2r
You have come to the right place to help keeping corals alive . When you get settled , create a post with pictures of your reef preferably with white lights . Water parameters along with listing maintenance schedules
Thank you, will do!

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, welcome to the party.

do some searching on the forum. There are quite a few rather instructive threads on what and when to test—depending on your tank and what you have in it.

I would offer offer my sage advice, but I’m kind of new (and learning) myself.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back