• Tsunami 72"x24"x24" 180gal

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Marcus McConnell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello everyone, I'm looking to get into reef tanks and would like some suggestions on what I should avoid and what many of you would recommend. I have experience in freshwater and brackish tanks, and currently have 2 100gal tanks just sitting around. I have been looking to reset them up after a move a few years ago. I already have plans for them, but want to know what the community would recommend for a reef tank that is about 200gal. I also have plans to do a smaller reef tank to keep I'm my bedroom and have decided to go with the red sea 250 as a starting point. for the larger reef, I really like the red sea xxl750 looks and concept, but the price tag seems a little too big for what I plan to do with it. with the large tank I plan on using the triton method. I want a setup similar to the xxl750 but without all of the items that I will most likely discard, mainly the sump that comes with it. I would prefer a tank that has corner overflows and has predrilled holes, I did look at marineland setups, but for just the stand and tank is just about the same as the xxl750. most of the xxl750 would be kept, it would be mainly the included sump that would be removed so I could do the triton method. I plan to use the trigger systems triton 44 sump no matter which tank I go with. I would also like some clarification on exactly what parts are required to have a triton system run on minimum hardware for the first few months to allow it to circulate. I know a protein skimmer is not needed until I am getting ready to put livestock in the tank, but I have read mixed reports on what I can actually leave out initially and install later.

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote is for the Red Sea. Does not have the corner overlfow you are looking for but is pre-drilled and does have a overflow already installed. Unless you want to get creative with a cutom manifold, it could be as easy as connecting soft tubing from your return pump to the return pipe on the tank.

Bow4it

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My neighbor has the red sea and it is pretty sweet.....

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back