New to reef2reef Sump or canister filter

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome.

If you are starting backup, then sump all the way, even if you have an old canister sitting around. The canister still has its uses. I use it to vacuum my tanks, or quickly clear the water, generally not running any material in the canister, but the return goes into a filter sock. I have also used a canister to transfer water from a tank, to a bucket, to another tank.

Welcome.

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone I’m new to the forum and to reefing I had been Keeping tropicals for many years gave that up with the intention to start marine but things got in the way and 40 years later here I am starting on a new journey . Hence the title thread.
Welcome to R2R and reefing Peter. Lots of knowledgable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Sump or AIO.
DEF06B72-EA70-4BE9-9765-F1B4D2E1E990.gif

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. You have lots of opinions on the sump. I will mention costs. Check out the marketplace. Tons of stuff to be found, just takes searching. You can find some quality stuff from some good reefers there. And keep us updated

1592354920694.gif

OP
OP
Petert

Petert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and hello to R2R...you can use either but a canister limits you.

But you can have a great tank with a canister you just have to be on your tank husbandry and not mind a few things hanging on the sides lol

Here's my 75g run with a canister, I will be switching to a sump on our next build to have a cleaner look.

Some new AIO tanks don't even need either so definitely check those out!

20200607_095148.jpg
Thanks for your info

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and more bucks as well from what I have learnt so far exciting though
I use a canister Fluval fx4 on my 75 gallon, I have it full of bioballs, foam, and carbon.
I've used a canister filter for 4 years, no issues. I was using a smaller canister prior to February, but wanted more water volume, so I upgraded to the fx4...its great and water changes are easy, no lifting 5 gallon pails. I also use a HOB skimmer from AquaMaxx 1.5, it's super quiet, and sucks out a ton of grossness, lol....I don't have a sump because of the costs, setup, piping, and if your not paying attention to it, it could overflow.... usually happen when someone else is watching your tank.

OP
OP
Petert

Petert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a canister Fluval fx4 on my 75 gallon, I have it full of bioballs, foam, and carbon.
I've used a canister filter for 4 years, no issues. I was using a smaller canister prior to February, but wanted more water volume, so I upgraded to the fx4...its great and water changes are easy, no lifting 5 gallon pails. I also use a HOB skimmer from AquaMaxx 1.5, it's super quiet, and sucks out a ton of grossness, lol....I don't have a sump because of the costs, setup, piping, and if your not paying attention to it, it could overflow.... usually happen when someone else is watching your tank.
Sounds like a feasible and sensible option

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 107 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back