New to reefing, Just finished cycling new tank.

jeremyjay692005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to reefing, Just finished cycling my tank 3 weeks ago, 35 gallon cube, 40 lbs of Carbisea sand, 20 lbs of Carbisea dry rock, Smatfarm 95 watt led light. I've added 2 clown fish and 1 Banggai cardinal, and 3 snails so far, waiting a another week top added more fish, wainting to add some Zoas how long should I wait before addin them?

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome to our little piece of the reef.
That's a good tank to start with. As for when to add corals, keep an eye on your water parameters, no ammonia or nitrite, nitrate around 8-12, phosphate around .05 - .08,
As long as you salinity and Ph is stable ( 1.025 for salinity and 8.0-8.1for Ph) then you will be ready for corals.
As for the light, it's a good start. It will be ok for softies but not much else. A165 watt light would be better.
look into Current USA lights, mainly the R24. Its a good budget light and it will be good for LPS corals if you want to have those later on.

Welcome!!!

f127426c616cd57d67c79dfda815c596.gif

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to reefing, Just finished cycling my tank 3 weeks ago, 35 gallon cube, 40 lbs of Carbisea sand, 20 lbs of Carbisea dry rock, Smatfarm 95 watt led light. I've added 2 clown fish and 1 Banggai cardinal, and 3 snails so far, waiting a another week top added more fish, wainting to add some Zoas how long should I wait before addin them?
Hey, welcome to R2R! Just make sure your tank parameters are stable before adding anything else!

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Hey, it’s nice to meet you. This can be such a great hobby. You have definitely come to the right place. This site is full of both knowledgeable and friendly people.

Sounds like you’re off to a good start. Have you experienced what is referred to as the ugly stage. If not generally there is a period of GHA (Green Hair Algae), this could affect corals by smothering or blocking light. This can be compensated for if you remove any that is close to or on the corals. But as said before stable parameters are key.

OP
OP
J

jeremyjay692005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, it’s nice to meet you. This can be such a great hobby. You have definitely come to the right place. This site is full of both knowledgeable and friendly people.

Sounds like you’re off to a good start. Have you experienced what is referred to as the ugly stage. If not generally there is a period of GHA (Green Hair Algae), this could affect corals by smothering or blocking light. This can be compensated for if you remove any that is close to or on the corals. But as said before stable parameters are key.
I've had Diatoms for about 1 week. I've readied to just let them run their course and they will go away. Is that true?

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jeremyjay692005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome to our little piece of the reef.
That's a good tank to start with. As for when to add corals, keep an eye on your water parameters, no ammonia or nitrite, nitrate around 8-12, phosphate around .05 - .08,
As long as you salinity and Ph is stable ( 1.025 for salinity and 8.0-8.1for Ph) then you will be ready for corals.
As for the light, it's a good start. It will be ok for softies but not much else. A165 watt light would be better.
look into Current USA lights, mainly the R24. Its a good budget light and it will be good for LPS corals if you want to have those later on.

Welcome!!!

f127426c616cd57d67c79dfda815c596.gif
Salinity and PH are stable. No ammonia or nitrites, Nitrates have been testing between 0-5 ppm. Don't have a test kit for phosphates, What budget test kit would you recommend?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've have Diatoms for about 1 week. I've read to just let them run their course and they will go away. Is that true?
Diatoms are usually the first stage of the uglies.
On my latest build about 6 months old I added coral before fish so I think you would be fine to add some zoas

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I've had Diatoms for about 1 week. I've readied to just let them run their course and they will go away. Is that true?
Yes diatoms eat silicate. Generally comes from the new sand. Once they have consumed it they starve off. However if your water source has silicate they can stay longer or forever. If you are using an RODI system you will be fine. If not probably a good investment.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ugly stage didn't really start until 5 or 6 months in. Things didn't stabilize for a few months after that.

Welcome to the hobby. Just remember it's a marathon, not a sprint.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity and PH are stable. No ammonia or nitrites, Nitrates have been testing between 0-5 ppm. Don't have a test kit for phosphates, What budget test kit would you recommend?
A good budget test for phosphate would be Salifert. Best of luck, keep learning and keep coming back with questions. A picture would be nice.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back