New to reefing

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screen Shot 2019-12-08 at 5.14.42 PM.png
Santa says ask for a Reef Octopus Varios 4 = over 1000 gph ;)

CasaReefer

Promoted To Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Roy... Welcome to R2R.. Build sounds Awesome. Hey if I could ask a favor. Your talking about having a display fuge. For those of us... O.K. ( ME ) that are not really sure what your doing when you gat a minute could you maybe post some pics of your build. I know we would all love to see them.. But some of us would Really learn something from your build.. I know it a lot to ask since we just met.. But if you could it would be awesome. Thank You in Advance for the trouble.

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Roy... Welcome to R2R.. Build sounds Awesome. Hey if I could ask a favor. Your talking about having a display fuge. For those of us... O.K. ( ME ) that are not really sure what your doing when you gat a minute could you maybe post some pics of your build. I know we would all love to see them.. But some of us would Really learn something from your build.. I know it a lot to ask since we just met.. But if you could it would be awesome. Thank You in Advance for the trouble.
I am still in the planning stages. I am hoping to start the actual plumbing and getting wet around October 2020. I will definitely be doing a build thread at that time.

CasaReefer

Promoted To Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still in the planning stages. I am hoping to start the actual plumbing and getting wet around October 2020. I will definitely be doing a build thread at that time.
Thank you i will do some research on this topic now

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you i will do some research on this topic now
A display fuge is pretty cool. Usually they are done with clams or mangroves and even certain types of macro algae. It is basically a third tank. I am planning on using the tank for QT originally, then as a grow out tank for frags. After a year or so, I would like to make it into a display fuge with mangroves.

CasaReefer

Promoted To Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A display fuge is pretty cool. Usually they are done with clams or mangroves and even certain types of macro algae. It is basically a third tank. I am planning on using the tank for QT originally, then as a grow out tank for frags. After a year or so, I would like to make it into a display fuge with mangroves.
it sounds interesting to me. away to increase the volume of my fuge..

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it sounds interesting to me. away to increase the volume of my fuge..
Exactly. But they don't do as much exporting of nutrients as say a chaeto fuge. Check out DIY guy. He has cool tank withmangroves, grass and a school of fish. It isn't a display fuge but it is awesome. I fell in love with it instantly.

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it really doesn't increase the efficiency of the system? just adds water volume?
It will help with efficiency. Depends on what you use in it. Clams are awesome, but they export that much nutrients. You can grow certain macro algaes in it that you can also feed to your fish. Some of them look really cool. Check out algae barn. I am planning on mine being basically a planted aquarium. More water volume, a place for live sand without it being a toilet, and possibly a small garden for fish. I am still researching it.

CasaReefer

Promoted To Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will help with efficiency. Depends on what you use in it. Clams are awesome, but they export that much nutrients. You can grow certain macro algaes in it that you can also feed to your fish. Some of them look really cool. Check out algae barn. I am planning on mine being basically a planted aquarium. More water volume, a place for live sand without it being a toilet, and possibly a small garden for fish. I am still researching it.
This is very interesting to me.. Thanks for bringing it up. I am going to research it myself I haven't been here that long but it was the first time I had seen anyone talking about it... The more time I spend on here the more I learn... I have a lot to learn...

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very interesting to me.. Thanks for bringing it up. I am going to research it myself I haven't been here that long but it was the first time I had seen anyone talking about it... The more time I spend on here the more I learn... I have a lot to learn...
I am hoping to be able to plump somehow so that snails and fish wind up in fuge and not the clogging the sump. It also doubles as an always cycled QT, but not a hospital tank. I saw you have two QT tanks? When done with that, make one a display fuge and one a hospital tank. BTW, that car is an eye sore. I will gladly dispose of it for you. HEHEHE. Honestly though, there is a cool car show up here called the ROD RUN. I am in West Yellowstone, MT. If you would like to come up here, let me know. I work at a hotel and can try to get you a deal.

CasaReefer

Promoted To Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am hoping to be able to plump somehow so that snails and fish wind up in fuge and not the clogging the sump. It also doubles as an always cycled QT, but not a hospital tank. I saw you have two QT tanks? When done with that, make one a display fuge and one a hospital tank. BTW, that car is an eye sore. I will gladly dispose of it for you. HEHEHE. Honestly though, there is a cool car show up here called the ROD RUN. I am in West Yellowstone, MT. If you would like to come up here, let me know. I work at a hotel and can try to get you a deal.
Thank You... Hopefully my reef will look as good as she does...

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back